This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #1  
Old 04-07-2009, 08:44 PM
bul-it's Avatar
bul-it bul-it is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 10 2009
Posts: 38
bul-it is on a distinguished road
Default Choke tube/Vac.tube replacement

I am in the process of sprucing up the engine compartment on my 63 Thunderbird. I know I saw this same discussion on another thread but I can't seem to locate it. The new choke tube covered with white asbestos/ black tar ends fits into a small hole in the exhaust manifold. No problem. What I don't understand is the other steel tube next to it I found sitting in a larger threaded hole an inch or two forward of that. Is there supposed to be a threaded fitting that this tube goes into and threads into the manifold?? This looks like it connects via 4-5" small rubber hose to a vacumn off the intake manifold just in back of the carb. I cannot see that this line does much.. Your thoughts or help finding the thread that deals with this?? Thanks Mike
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:13 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bul-it View Post

The new choke tube covered with white asbestos/ black tar ends fits into a small hole in the exhaust manifold. No problem. What I don't understand is the other steel tube next to it I found sitting in a larger threaded hole an inch or two forward of that. Is there supposed to be a threaded fitting that this tube goes into and threads into the manifold?? This looks like it connects via 4-5" small rubber hose to a vacumn off the intake manifold just in back of the carb. I cannot see that this line does much..

Your thoughts or help finding the thread that deals with this?? Thanks Mike
The choke stove works this way-

Fresh filtered air is usually drawn from the carb horn under the air cleaner where it is then drawn to the exhaust manifold choke heat stove by engine vacuum. Depending on year and style, it is then ingested into a filter, heated and drawn into the carburetor choke housing where it supplies heat to actuate the choke spring.

A dedicated repro kit should be available for you car-



Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:32 PM
bul-it's Avatar
bul-it bul-it is offline
Apprentice
 
Join Date: Mar 10 2009
Posts: 38
bul-it is on a distinguished road
Default Choke tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
The choke stove works this way-

Fresh filtered air is usually drawn from the carb horn under the air cleaner where it is then drawn to the exhaust manifold choke heat stove by engine vacuum. Depending on year and style, it is then ingested into a filter, heated and drawn into the carburetor choke housing where it supplies heat to actuate the choke spring.

A dedicated repro kit should be available for you car-



Thanks for your help. I have the replacement kit from MAC'S.I did'nt see the filter or that piece (plug) pictured at the end of you reply. Where do they go?? Thanks. Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-07-2009, 09:50 PM
KULTULZ
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bul-it View Post

I did'nt see the filter or that piece (plug) pictured at the end of you reply. Where do they go??
Your's will not have this exact setup, but will give you an idea of function. Below is a later 1968 428 assembly-



I do not have a detailed shot of an early 390 other than the POLICE. Can you managae a photo of your setup?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-12-2009, 10:43 PM
AKastl's Avatar
AKastl AKastl is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 31 2009
Posts: 13
AKastl is on a distinguished road
Default

Bul-it - Below is a pic from my '62 HT... Is this setup more like what you have? If so, then the "U" shaped tube is the fresh-air inlet to the heating chamber and the asbestos covered steel line goes to the automatic choke as you know. The larger threaded area in the manifold (to the front of the choke tube) is (to my knowledge) where the Wixom line workers attached the install chain/threaded bolt assembly for engine install. Then I believe they simply unscrewed the bolts and on to the next...



__________________
'62 HT (Raven Blk / Red)
Original / Unrestored
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:32 PM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.