This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:18 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Thanks, guys! I have had the darned shroud for about 2 years and keep putting off installing it due to fear of screwing things up! (imagined trip to radiator shop: "so what's wrong with your radiator?" ... "not much except I seem to have drilled a hole in the top of it" ... "Oh... well, your stupidity is our profit. Thanks!" Alexander actually had that experience. )

John

Last edited by JohnG : 02-22-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure what my shroud came out of but I bought it from Bart Como and I think he said it was from a '63 Galaxie. It had exactly the same dimesnions as the one discussed in the forum article on 58-60 fan shrouds. It may be that the bolt spacing on the bottom of the rad and A/C condensor is wider than some others. Any way I removed the brackets from the bottom of the shroud by drilling out the welds, cut a couple of pieces of 14 ga. steel (3/4" x 3") and welded them top the bottom of the shroud and then welded the brackets to the new steel pieces. To get the 22 3/16" spacing between the brackets to fit the mounting holes for my rad and A/C condensor, the brackets had to be positioned at the very outside edges of the shroud (see attached). I then painted over the new welds, etc. now I have to try to put it in place. I spent a few minutes this afternoon trying to find a way to get it in position with no luck. The power steering pump is in the way when trying from the left side and the generator is in the way from the right side. My guess is that I will end up undoing the bolts that hold the power steering pump to its mounting bracket so I can get the shroud past it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modiied fan shroud 640px.jpg (58.1 KB, 97 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 03-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Tinkerer

Old Betsy now has a fan shroud. The installation was not exactly a snap but not all that bad. I decided the best way to attack this project was to remove the radiator, no sweat. In went the shroud, in went the radiator. But when I went to instal the bolts through the bottom brackets I discovered the slots in the shroud weren't deep enough. It was then that I remembered that at some point in Betsy's past (before our time), she had been hit quite hard in the front. My guess is that when it was repaired they put a new cross member in and it didn't have any holes for the radiator support so they drilled new ones through both the rad support and the cross member. It is a mystery why they didn't use the existing holes in the rad support, but they didn't. So out came the radiator, out came the shroud and I made the slots deeper. The I put the lower half of the shroud back in, then the rad, then put the bolts in through the elongated slots in the brackets. Then I bolted the top half of the shroud to the lower half and now the top of the shroud was about a half inch above the top of the radiator frame. So I had to bend the lower brackets a bit to lower the shroud. Then it was just a matter of drilling holes in the top of the radiator from and attaching the shroud to the radiator frame with sheet metal screws - carefully measured so as not to pierce the radiator core. The trick of putting a piece of rubber hose over a drill bit to limit the depth of cut works is very clever and works great! So now she is back together and ready to go again. I won't know how well the shroud works until mid summer when it is hot and humid and I'm stuck in traffic. It is quite cool here today (about 40F) so after 10-15 minutes idling in the garage the temp gauge only went up to the bottom of the 'M' which is where the thermostat opens. Now on to the next project - removing the current vacuum pump from the bottom of the oil pump and replacing it with the one I rebuilt over the winter. That is Tuesday's challenge.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Fan shroud for '59 430

Hi Howard,

Thanks for posting how you did that! That might be of great help to someone else with a 430 that wants to add the fan shroud in the future. It sounds like it went well for you and I am sure it is going to work much better in cooling that engine. You will find out later on in the year, but you should not have a problem with overheating now.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Doesn't that new metal fan shroud tiddy things up a bit under the hood? I know mine sure changed things, plus it made it somewhat safe to tinker under the hood with that shroud around a moving fan blade!!

-Jon

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Saw this '60 car on EB*y this morning, 430 with a fan shroud ?

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 03-16-2009, 01:23 PM
KULTULZ

Thumbs up

That shroud appears to be from a seventies application. I notice he has removed the surge tank also. Bad idea.

These shrouds have Casting I.D. Nos. on them. It can be used to ID the origional application. It is designed for a cross-flow radiator.

Looks nice to me.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:18 PM
Super-Experienced

Exclamation

That doesn't even appear to me to be the correct radiator for that Squarebird! Look at the trans cooler line on the left side (turing down).

-Jon

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Tinkerer

Default Caution decals

Do those of you who have fan shrouds put "Caution" decals on them?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Super-Experienced

Arrow

I did not, but I know a few of us have used the decal from the 1961-63 generation T-Birds.

VTCI Member#6287.