This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Experienced

Larry Jones is on a distinguished road
Default cleaning the trim

I have a 62 t*bird. Is the trim stainless steel or what. What the best product to polish it like chrome. Thanks. Larry
Old 03-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry

I'm assuming you mean the trim that runs along the top of teh fenders and doors? It's stainless. Mine was scratched and dinged, so I removed it (not easy), had it professionally straighted, then polished it myself /

I purchased a quality trade style buffing wheel whch I fitted to my benchtop grinder, and some stainless polishign compound - it vomes in hard bars, bit like an ingot.
I then finished it by hand using Meguiars NXT Metal Polysh (correct spelling)
If you want to polish yours without removing it, I recommend the metal Polysh. I've also used Autosol with excellent results.
Both are slightly abrasive, but won't remove deep scratches.
If your Tbird's paint is nice, it might pay to run a strip of masking tape along the paint next to the trim, to protect the paint - probably overkill, depends on how vigourous you'll be with the hand polishing.

re your indicator switch, I haven't forgotten the ophotos. I didn't remove the steering wheel in the weekend after all, instead started pulling the engine to bits to find the oil leak

Alistair
Old 03-10-2009, 11:46 PM

krave is on a distinguished road

thanks for posting i have to work on my trim a bit how did you remove the trim from the top of the fenders ,doors .etc.. i dont want to hurt the paint or break any clips...

Thanks
Old 03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Experienced

Hi

There are u-shaped clips that clip over a raised seam of 'flange' on the tops of the guards and doors. They have little serrated teeth that grip the seam.

You have to use something like a plastic scraper or wedge to slide between the body and the chrome trim to lever/prise it off. Loosen one end of the trim slighly, then move to the next clip, loosen that, then go back to the first clip and keep levering the trim off working all the way along. Don't try to remove the trim entirely at one end before moving along, as you risk bending the trim.

These clips are quite difficult to release, it takes some effort and loosening.

Here's the catch: there is also clips with various fasteners, and parts of the trim are bolted on. You really need the shop manual to identify which fasteners are used where. There are very clear and accurate diagrams in the manual. For example, the door trim is bolted each side of the door pull recess. You need to remove the door latch mechanism inside the door to reach the nuts, I used three extensions and a universal to get to the fasteners to remove/do them up. You need to be a contortionist to fit your arm through the holes in the inner door panel.

On the upside, it's easy to refit. Just sit the U clips in their wee notches on the fender seam/flange, sit the trim over them and hit the trim on with the heel of your hand.

If you do a search i think this might have been covered before.

Cheers

Alistair
Old 03-25-2009, 11:28 PM

thanks for the help got them all off i took the button out of the door to get to one off the nuts what a pain that was...i am going to get the all the trim rechromed or polished..but am wondering if there is a way to get the metal strips that acts as the handle out of the trim also the clip where the screw screws in to behind the fenders out or just leave them there...
Old 04-01-2009, 08:11 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by krave View Post
if there is a way to get the metal strips that acts as the handle out of the trim also the clip where the screw screws in to behind the fenders out or just leave them there...
Well done on gettign it all off. I couldn't see a way of gettign teh metal strengthening strips out of mine either, so I left it in place.

You can get the clips out of the trim, I can't recall the exact procedure but i did use needle nosed pliers and remeber having to squeeze and twist the clip at the same time - but watch you don't put a kink in the trim in the process

I took mine out because I was worried about the clip getting snagged on the polishing wheel
Old 04-01-2009, 09:56 PM

Thanks i guess i will have to get to work on those clips...