This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road

Thanks, Mike, very interesting. I looked it after seeing your post. What is required to complete the installation - just a alternator regulator? or is it more involved than that?
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Generator Woes !!!

In an effort to get more information for ya'll, I just talked with the Tech Rep at PowerMaster about their PowerGen alternators. Here is the information.

PowerMaster PowerGen http://www.powermastermotorsports.com/

630-849-7754 Tech Line

Page 34 in their catalog

They only manufacture 1 wire alternators - This model (the same one MAC offers) is mounted inside a generator case - The new case is larger and has more room to breath so the
overheating problem that was reported being experienced has been eliminated.

Cant wire in the dash gen. light with these alternators. I had him repeat that, and that is what he said

They mount right on the present generator bracket

Model 82101 Black 75A $380 or Model 282101 75A Polished $435

They are internally regulated. No external regulator is required.

They have had a very good success rate with these models

Me, I spent about $50 on a 1 wire alternator from Autozone, which my mechanic wired into the generator light. It is about 61A, and has been doing well for me ever since he installed it. Yes, he had to modify the generator L bracket to fit that alternator on it, and that took some doing. But if I had known about the mounting brackets available from C.R.A.P.,

http://www-link.com/cgi-bin/odbic.ex...lientno=1681.0

he would not have had to done that. Sure, it looks like a nice, new shiny, shorter piece of equipment down there, and does not look original, but I don't have the problems that original generator was causing me anymore.....

For those of you who want to own the Mother Of All Alternators there is the Gener-nator for 1940-1964 Fords. It is a 1 wire with a generator harness kit that you can hook up to your generator light.. Price - $845 with exchange. It must be gold plated...

http://www.gener-nator.com/orders.htm

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 03-09-2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Additional information
Old 03-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
Would you want to keep the external regulator for proper appearance or is it important
THanks for the reply. Originality isn't an issue, by car is an air bagged mild custom, so happy to butcher - oops, I mean modify - the car. I like the idea of the three wire, and reasearch I've done on the net suggests that the bracket is the trickiest bit of the install. I see another post about a place called CRAP (unfortunate name) that does brackets, will suss it out. I'm also willing to have a go at fabricating my own, if I screw up then I'll buy and off-the-shelf one.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post

Originality isn't an issue, by car is an air bagged mild custom, so happy to butcher - oops, I mean modify - the car.

I like the idea of the three wire, and reasearch I've done on the net suggests that the bracket is the trickiest bit of the install.

I see another post about a place called CRAP (unfortunate name) that does brackets, will suss it out. I'm also willing to have a go at fabricating my own, if I screw up then I'll buy and off-the-shelf one.
OK, you will want the MOTORCRAFT 3G ALT. It is internally regulated and the 7" mounting pattern model will bolt into place of the early FE low mount ALT brackets. It will also require updating the charging harness as this thing puts out the AMPS.

These are only general references-

If you decide this is the way to go, let me know and I will give you the source for the wiring components.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post
THanks for the reply. Originality isn't an issue, by car is an air bagged mild custom, so happy to butcher - oops, I mean modify - the car. I like the idea of the three wire, and reasearch I've done on the net suggests that the bracket is the trickiest bit of the install. I see another post about a place called CRAP (unfortunate name) that does brackets, will suss it out. I'm also willing to have a go at fabricating my own, if I screw up then I'll buy and off-the-shelf one.
FWIW, I am running the mount from CRAP on my 58 with a powermaster one wire alternator. You can see what the mount looks like on the motor...... if you look real close in this photo.

The alternator I am running is one of those higher output models, I had to rotate the case on the alternator for it to mount right and I had to do a bit of grinding on the mount that bolts to the block for it work the way I wanted it to.

Also when I first start up the car or have the stereo cranked, lights on, heater on, etc. the alternator kicks in and I have been fighting problems with the belt slipping , but I have a cheap battery I threw in just to have a battery, that might be part of the problem....

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 AM
KULTULZ

This is the early sixties FE mount-

The C.R.A.P. system is useful in that some early FE blocks are not drilled to accept the ALT mounting bolt- Notice the rear mounting bracket.

Belt slippage can be a very big problem with a HI-AMP ALT. FORD solved this with Dual Drive Belts, Multi-Rib Belts and finally Serpentine.

You may have to find later pulleys that will give you a Dual Drive Belt-

(Notice The Improvised Rear Mounting Bracket On This Photo)