This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:59 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrod View Post
Realistically they are worth very little. the carbs and distributors sell well but it takes forever to find the right buyer for something like a complete engine, numbers matching or otherwise. Core engines are usually worth anywhere from $150-500 depending on how desirable and complete it is. The 58 heads and rocker arms are usually worth more than the rest if it has solid lifters and machined chambers. I bought two 430's on eBay last February and I only bought them because they were local but I paid $150 for the pair. The complete one actually brought $120 and the one full of water with no intake was $30. I only bought both because I figured if I was going to pick up one I might as well buy the second since it was at the same place and had good exhaust manifolds. They also came with tranmissions on them. I figure I did pretty well as I needed one but I have seen others sell for less in the mid west. I did have a 60 352 and I tried to sell it on eBay and Craigslist and when I could not get $100 for it I parted it out and scrapped the shortblock. I did get several hundred for the parts individually. Hawkrod
Thanks for the info, kinda what I figured, the one I have will keep fine in the corner of the shop then in case someday I want to take my 58 back to numbers matching, friends that don't understand us motorheads have asked me why I have two motors sitting in the corner.... the 352 and a extra 455, had a 429 also but I gave it to a very good friend for his jetboat.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:40 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

RustyNCa Your friend with the jet boat sure looks like he is happy with the motor.
58HT #33317
Old 02-28-2009, 04:53 AM
KULTULZ

Wink

Just a thought-

Finding a numbers correct engine will most likely be easier finding a complete salvage donor. The assembly date will be on the door and then one can actually get himself dirty getting the block numbers.

I wish you luck.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 PM
Apprentice

rhertel is on a distinguished road
Default numbers

I found this on the Thunderbird Ranch website,
1958 Engine Coding
I have been following the question of date-coding '58 motors, and finally found time to offer what I'm aware of. According to Management Service Letter M-167a, the casting date of motor block for the 352 is supposed to be cast on the side or the front of the block, with the engine's assembly date stamped on a machined pad/boss just below and forward of the #1 cylinder exhaust port on the driver's front corner of the block (the dipstick tube passes by it).
Casting codes were also given in the bulletins. In '58, the block casting date can be found either on the front surface of the block to the right of the water pump or on the right side of the block in the area of the #1 cylinder. For instance, 8AS:2 translates into 8=1958; November; S=18th Day of Month; 2=Casting shift.
The coding should include year, month, work shift and date along with assembly plant code.
To quote the Bulletin for the casting date: "...codes use a number to indicate the year. The second figure may be either a number or letter to indicate the month as follows: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0-A-B. The third symbol is either a screw head for Cleveland buit units (flat for the day shift or round for the night shift) or a letter for Dearborn built units to denote the day of the month (A through Z with the exception of I, and inverted A through F).
An illustration is also shown for the assembly date code. For example, it gives 3-8BFP. The first figure indicates the assembly plant (1-Cleveland Plant #1, 2-Cleveland Plant #2, 3-Dearborn Engine Plant); the second digit indicates year; third digit indicates month, and fourth digit indicates day. The fifth digit is a mark assigned to an inspector at the plant.
Therefore, 3-8BFP translates to: 3=Dearborn Engine Plant; 8=1958; B=February; F= 5th day of month; P=Inspector's Code
The 430's assembly date is supposed to be stamped on the block in front of the left head, according to the '60 bulletin M-204.
Additional cast codes on the block: DIF means Dearborn Industrial Foundry, while Cleveland-cast blocks have a C and L imposed on each other (similar to the symbol for Center Line). An engine's casting foundry can also be ID'ed as follows: all 352 blocks have the number 5750603 cast on the right side of the area of #1 cylinder: Dearborn cast this number upside down, Cleveland right side up. The 430's were all cast at Dearborn, have number 5752001 cast on the right side of the area of #1 cylinder and have "DIF" foundry marks.
Q.E.D.
Alan H. Tast ,AIA President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l., Author, "Thunderbird 1955-66"