This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:50 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Run an even bead of RTV silicone on top of the block where the valley gasket goes, (after cleaning & wiping with paint thinners/acetone) place gasket on it and put a bit of pressure on top of the gasket (but carefull not to move the gaske while doing so!)

Wipe off any silicone that has ooozed into the inside of the valley.

Leave it 24 hours then place a bead of silicone on top of the gasket, place head-intake gaskets in place (with a dob of silicone at each end of the manifold/head gasket)

Place manifold, torque down and (most important) leave it at least 24 hours before filling the radiator and running the engine.

Has worked 100% for me on a variety of engines.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:53 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post

Hi Kultulz

I removed teh intake last night and found that the road draft tube is loose in teh manifold, no o-ring, just dollops of yucky blue silicone.

i looked at my '62 shop manual. There is a detailed cutaway illustration showing how the road draft tube works, but nothing on servicing it. There is a chapter on servicing the PCV though.
Actually, on this particular system, the air inlet filter (oil filler cap) is about the only part needing regular service. If this plugs up, the system has no fresh air source. The PCV conversion will help immensely.

On that RTV, the blue glue is not good for this type of application, try to find RTV Black. The problem usually with the rear gasket is that it moves while lowering the intake spoiling the seal. Just make sure it is in place correctly before torquing the intake down.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Scumdog, Kultulz - thanks! Will follow Scumdog's method, just not looking forwrad to lowering that weighty cast intake accurately into position. On my 302W I used a couple of studs threaded into the heads to locate the intake (plus it was an aluminium intake) , but seeing as the 390's bolt holes are at 45 degrees that obviously won't work.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 PM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrolhead View Post

On my 302W I used a couple of studs threaded into the heads to locate the intake (plus it was an aluminium intake) , but seeing as the 390's bolt holes are at 45 degrees that obviously won't work.
Maybe studs front and rear on just one side (try it dry first). Make sure you have fairly large dabs of RTV at the corners where the valley gaskets tie into the intake gaskets.

Check gasket integrity once the manifold is placed and during torqueing down (gasket may move).

You might want to place it with a engine crane.