This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Apprentice

drclarkra
Question Electric Locks

Well for my T-Birds 48th birthday which was yesterday, (31H) I bought a kit to install electric locks with remote controls. How cool. It doesn't look tough and I have taken the door panels off and have an idea how to hook up the solenoids. Has anyone done this or have any pictures. I will wait and see and then forge ahead and post my pics when I do it if not. Any one have this done??
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Hi

I went the whole hog on my '62 and shaved the door handles. I used an Autoloc kit, that has all the solenoids/relays/remote etc.

Wasn't difficult, took a weekend. Mounted solenoids so that the cable had a direct downward pull on the door latch mechanism. there wa sno place to drill and thread the cable through, so I welded a lever to the latch mechanism and ran the cable to that.

Mounted the receiver for the remote up in the passenger's side kick panel area.

Fitted concealed push buttom switches directly wired to the solenoids, so that the doors can still be opened if the remote fails.

I'll post some pics shortly

And specific questions please ask, but the '62's door latches are different to your car's.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Experienced

Here are some pics:

1. The solenoid and cable
2. The solenoid in the door
3. the modified latch with a lever so the that the solenoid's downwards pull activates the door latch mechanism
4. The back-up button that is fitted to the splash panel under the front guard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cable.JPG (90.4 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg button.JPG (111.6 KB, 208 views)
File Type: jpg lever_low.JPG (133.8 KB, 203 views)
File Type: jpg solenoid_in_door_low.JPG (127.6 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Experienced

Here's a pick of the door handle holes welded shut and all the trim shaved.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaved.JPG (74.0 KB, 321 views)
Old 09-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Apprentice

drclarkra
Default Electric locks

Thanks Petrol Head. I'll wait to see if there is anyone from the squarebirds too. Is the cable from the solenoids on your install a stiff wire or flexible?
Old 09-01-2008, 11:45 PM
Experienced

It's flexible woven wire cable, and you can adjust the amount of pull by the amount of slack that you leave in the cable.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Apprentice

drclarkra

I thought that was what it looked like. I have a fairly heavy stiff wire and need to mount the solenoid up under the wing window where there is a lot going on. Thanks for your reply and great pictures.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by drclarkra View Post
I have a fairly heavy stiff wire and need to mount the solenoid up under the wing window where there is a lot going on.
If you use a long, flexible wire you can pretty well mount the solenoid where you like, and have the cable 'turn corners', as long as you fabricate a 'guide' where the cable turns, so that it pulls cleanly and doesn't bind

I made a remote trunk release opened by an electric solenoid out of a Nissan. I used a 1.9 metre heavy duty mountain bike cable and mounted the solenoid under the rear parcel shelf.

Mountain bike cable is very flexile, and as it has an outer sheath you run it how you like without binding, and no need to fabricate a guide or runner where it turns corners.

The Autoloc shaved door handle kit was an eight channel, which means there were six channels left to operate other stuff in addition the shaved door handles. I used one of these to open the trunk open.

Using a long cable will enable you to mount the solenoid in the most uncluttered, easily accessible part of your door.

Here are a few pics

The mountain bike cable

The modified trunk lock, I welded a bracket to the release lever to accept to end of the cable

The Nissan solenoid operated trunk release, with a bracket I welded to it to accept the other end of the cable

The cable runs inside the trunk lid, the solenoid will be mounted under the parcel tray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4077.JPG (50.0 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4127.JPG (60.8 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4166.JPG (88.7 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5116.JPG (95.7 KB, 301 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Apprentice

drclarkra

Well done. that is very cool and like you say it lets you mount the solenoid just about anywhere. I think that I have a spot where my set up will work, but if not, I will definitely go for the flex cable. I love mechanical aptitude.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Apprentice

drclarkra
Smile Electric Lock solenoid installed

Okay, I installed the solenoid for the drivers door and it went in great. I took some pictures. the harness should be a piece of cake . The control module fit up by the heater and I ran the power wire out through the firewall and attached the power lead to the yellow wire that comes right off the starter solenoid. I taped the antenna to the bottom of the glove box. I can't believe this was just a six hour job.

Last edited by drclarkra : 09-05-2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: More information