This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

I have not toyed enough with the 430 to know for sure but on an FE the lower exhaust manifold bolts do not hit water UNLESS you try and use too long a bolt! The wall at the back of the hole is pretty thin and there is water behind it. Using a bolt that is too long or using a bottoming tap to clean the holes can open the hole to water and cause a leak. It is not a major problem but if this has happened you should use a stud with thread sealer on it and a nut instead of a bolt. There is a lot of thermal activity and these bolts cycle every time you run the engine so if you use a bolt it can leak after it has been sealed. Hawkrod
Old 07-15-2008, 04:24 AM
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post

Really? Why doesn't the service manual mention sealing the lower exhaust manifold bolts on the 430cid then? I never knew/heard that "KULTULZ".....
My 58 MERC manual mentions it.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:01 AM
KULTULZ

Exclamation

Gentlemen,

One needs to read and understand the theory of the MEL cooling system (brief description should be in shop manual).

Early MEL used coolant flow to heat the carburetor intake plenum rather than the more commonly used heat riser (exhaust heat) system(s).

This will explain details like the head gasket question and now this question. While very similiar to the FE, many details are unique to this series and the Super Duty Engine Family (heavy truck 401-477-534 gas) also introduced in 1958.

The coolant divertors direct coolant flow upwards and to the rear of the block so that constant rear to front coolant flow is maintained both in the intake and cylinder heads.

The block thermostats were deleted in the early sixties but the divertors have to be there.

This is not an every day passenger car engine. It had many unique features.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

Well I have the 2 coolant divertors & I removed the 2 small t-stats. I also left my head gasket alone, because the old head gasket (not original) had that middle cooling port blocked just like my new Fel-Pro blue gaskets did....

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
KULTULZ

Post Here You Go-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

My 58 MERC manual mentions it.
1958 MERCURY MAINTENANCE MANUAL

JULY, 1958

Quote:
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION OF EXHAUST MANIFOLD- ENGINE IN VEHICLE

1. Open radiator drain petcock and drain cooling system.

Installation

4. Note: The upper rear left exhaust manifold stud on early production engines is replaced by a screw. Coat the screw with water resistant sealer (to prevent water leakge) before installing the screw in the cylinder head.

7. and 8. Descibe the two lower front mounting screws and the two rear exhaust manifold mounting screws as being coated with water resistant sealer.
So the coolant jackets are open to the cap screw bosses and must be sealed.

Hopefully this will save you from disassembling the top end.

Good luck with it and report back the results please.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Holy exhaust manifold bolt in the cylinder head water jacket KULTULZ!! There's a bet I would have lost.

I am always amazed at your knowledge base, keep posting to this MEL as you bring so much information that would be hard to find otherwise.

Keep us posted Jon with your progress when you revisit that water leak
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Will do guys. I'm going to try and R&R this bolt, reseal it, and test drive the 430 again before I tear anything else down...

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:25 PM
KULTULZ

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE427 View Post

Holy exhaust manifold bolt in the cylinder head water jacket KULTULZ!! There's a bet I would have lost.

I am always amazed at your knowledge base, keep posting to this MEL as you bring so much information that would be hard to find otherwise.
Not to worry. I am like an APACHE set of underwear, I keep sneaking up on you...
Old 07-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Super-Experienced

tbirds8 is on a distinguished road

Never heard that one. Gota love it !!!!!!!!!!!!