This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road
Default bumper jack

Could someone with an original jack post the specs/measurements and any pertinent stamping that would help identify a correct jack. Or if someone if aware of an on-line resource (or book) that does the same, that would likewise be helpful.

The OFS covers jacks, locations and mounting, but doesn't give the details to know if that ebay or flea market find is the correct one, since some sellers go by the trunk that they took it from, or can't identify them.

If anyone has one available at a reasonable cost, I'd be interested.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:00 PM
Super-Experienced

Anders is on a distinguished road

If you find one, donīt use it. You will bend the bumpers....
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 06-22-2008, 01:42 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

hi Ken

If you give me a couple days, I have a jack I got out of a 58 that was being junked and I will take photos and get all numbers off of it.

Just promise us that if and when you find one, you never actually allow it to come in contact with the bumpers... !

My guess is that the jack is somewhat generic but that the curved part is designed to fit the TBird bumpers precisely. But that's a guess...

John
Old 06-23-2008, 11:28 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Correct Bird jack from an old eBay auction:

Hawkrod
Old 06-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Experienced

frank58 is on a distinguished road

the base part number isB8A-17088-A

and the base should be stamped AJ-C

hope that helps a bit
Old 06-23-2008, 07:20 PM

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

John you are somewhat correct. The " J HOOK" as the curved part is called was designed specifically for these types of bumpers. I remember my father had a 58 buick with a similar jack, to handle the massive weight of these boats. It looks very feable but under load, is actually a very good system.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 06-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Experienced

Alan H. Tast, AIA is on a distinguished road
Default Jack ID

[quote=GTE427;22491]The OFS covers jacks, locations and mounting, but doesn't give the details to know if that ebay or flea market find is the correct one, since some sellers go by the trunk that they took it from, or can't identify them.
quote]

I beg to differ. Look at page G4-10 of VTCI's '58-'60 OFS revised 6/21/07. Not only is there a description of what codes are stamped into the jack base, there are also illustrations and photo captions describing the difference between a T-bird and Lincoln jack base, which I found in a Lincoln service bulletin from the period and made sure were included in the OFS specifically to help in ID'ing jacks. There are also several good photos of an orignal jack I documented in an unrestored '58 hardtop with 50,000 miles to use for identification.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Yes, the OFS described the jack base very well with stampings and the comparison to the Lincoln, that was very helpful. No offense was meant, the OFS is valuable source of information and I refer to it often.