This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

El Guapo, more pics

This is from inside the car looking back to the trunk. It looks complicated but it is pretty straightforward. I'll close it in and them cover the bulkhead with Dynamat to keep the noise and heat from the compressors out of the cabin.

There are a lot of different size and shape tanks available to suit various installations

Don't know if I'll use the skirts, they do make it look lower though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trunk_panel.JPG (139.0 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg skirts.JPG (136.2 KB, 312 views)
Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 PM
Experienced

El Guapo, here's the switch panel details

Each gauge has two needles, so I used one guage for the front bags, one for the rear bags. When the two needles are lined up in the gauge the pressure's the same side to side.

The extra toggle switch turns the compressors off. This is important because if the car is parked for any length of time and the bags lose a little air (they shouldn't do), the compressors will turn on and off automatically until the battery's flat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg guages.JPG (144.7 KB, 315 views)
File Type: jpg switches.JPG (133.9 KB, 310 views)

Last edited by Petrolhead : 05-26-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:53 PM
Experienced

El Guapo, here's the rear air over leaf under construction.

The lower shock absorber mount has been modified and is longer to maintain shock travel.

The two sping clamps (I think that's what they're called) have been welded together to effectively create lowering blocks.

The removal of the rear leafs as per the kit's instructions (Air Ride says a minimum of two, but we're trying one) means that the spring can wrap up into an 'S' shape under hard acceleration. To eliminate this, and to better locate the rear end, the chassis shop made a single control arrm. Here it's just mocked up, the front and rear eyes of the arm, which have rubber bushes, now have solid gusseted mounting brackets.

At the moment all the wiring's out of the engine bay as I've just painted under there. As soon as it's all back in I'll be able to raise the bags and get some better photos for you. Should hopefully be this weekend.

I've also attached pics of the engine bay, it feels like a major milestone to finally get some colour on the thing after a year.

Cheers

Alistair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear1.JPG (90.2 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg battery_area.JPG (140.5 KB, 313 views)
File Type: jpg engine_compartment.JPG (144.3 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by Petrolhead : 05-26-2008 at 07:55 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 05-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Experienced

El Guapo, last pic

I purchased an Air Ride front Shockwave kit for the '62. It was supposed to suit 61 to 64, but Air Ride engineered it using a '63 and the front suspension changed quite significantly at the end of '62 - the upper and lower shock mounts aredifferent, as is the upper coil spring pad.
Apparently this is the first time Air Ride struck this and Darren was quite embarrased. He was also extremely helpful, and even sent some brackets down here at no charge. I couldn't have asked for better service.
The problem was that the Shockwaves were too long for the '62, and even fully deflated the car sat higher than stock.

In the end the chassis guys mounted the shockwaves down through the upper a-arms instead of on top, using custom made L-shaped brackets that you can see in the photo. They use the same bolt holes as the factory lower shock saddle.

We had to notch the a-arm to clear the knob for the Shockwave's rebound adjustment. These have since had their reinforcing lip welded on, and is away getting crack tested at the moment - can't be too careful.

You'll see that there are two extra holes in the bracket - this is so we can adjust the ride height up or down if we wish.

The air lines will run under the car, I'm going to use high pressure 1/2" steel lines to avoid stone damage - normally they're 1/2" nylon.

Cheers

Alistair
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shockwave.JPG (140.6 KB, 320 views)
Old 05-26-2008, 10:01 PM
El Guapo and La Chiquita

El Guapo is on a distinguished road

This is excactly what I'm looking for..Looking @ buying a whole package from a guy and a friend that has done his Catalina is going to help.
I'm shure I'll have a lot more questions as this progresses.
Thanks a ton once again.
Cheers!

Keepin it square!
El Guapo out!