This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:44 PM

andy2175m4 is on a distinguished road
Default how do find and supress rattles

I have a 63 Landau, and it is original and in good shape, but it has a few rattles that I want to get rid of. I found that liberal dosing of penetrating oil has gotten rid of most, if not all, of the suspension squeaks, but there are still rattles that are here and there when I go over speed bumps, or just drive down a rough road.

I want to make this car quiet like my 2000 Mercury Grand Marquis, I know thats asking a lot of a 45 year old car, but it is well maintained and deserved to be cared for.

If you are obsessed with quiet like I am, how do you play detective and find the squeaks and rattles and then quiet them??
Old 04-01-2008, 09:32 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road
Default More rattles than a baby's nursery

Hi

There's no really easy way, a rattle can be as simple a something rolling around inside the door to a broken exhaust mount.

The best way to start is do a 'spanner check'. Begin under the car, and go from the front bumper to the rear. Check every nut and bolt with a spanner to enure it's snug. Things like splash guards under the fenders,bumper mounting bolts, even the licence plate screws - some of the smallest items can produce the most annoying rattles.

Check the exhaust (a likely candidate over rough roads), suspension, brake and fuel lines while you're under there. (make sure the car is on axle stands - if a jack fails while you're under an unsupported car a few rattles will be the least of your worries)

Pop the wheel caps off and makes sure there are no stones rattling around inside.

Set the car back on the ground and do the same under the hood in the emngine compartment, then go and do inside the trunk. Are the bumper jack/tools/spare wheel clamp firmly secured?

Go around the outside of your car and check that the chrome mouldings, grille fasteners etc are tight, then move inside and do the same. Is the radio secure?

It's no more than a process of elimination.

If total originality is not a major issue consider putting additional sound deadening material inside the doors, and perhaps aftermartket soundproofing sheeting under the hood and trunk lids - it won't fix the rattles, but it will make it a lot more like a late model car noise wise.

Finally, if you can't fix all the rattles turn the radio up really loud, that usually does the trick (:

Good luck!