This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default So how much is a 429 Cobra Jet Worth

1968 Ford Thunderbird - $2500

Classic muscle/luxury car.
429 Cobra Jet (rare racing engine of yesteryear, 440-460 hp).
4-door, Rear Suicide doors...Gangster car.
Electric Everything.
Needs work.
Runs, coolant leak.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Experienced

Hawkrod is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNCa View Post
1968 Ford Thunderbird - $2500

Classic muscle/luxury car.
429 Cobra Jet (rare racing engine of yesteryear, 440-460 hp).
4-door, Rear Suicide doors...Gangster car.
Electric Everything.
Needs work.
Runs, coolant leak.
You do realize that a Tbird does not have a Cobra Jet don't you? A Tbird comes with a Thunder Jet and they are not the same thing at all. The Thunder Jet is probably worth $250-$400 depending on condition, The Cobra Jet is worth $1500-$4000 depending on condition. 429 Cobra jets were only made in 1970 and 1971 and were available in Mustang, Cougar, Torino, Montego and the various relatives of those cars. No Tbirds at all. A related engine that is almost identical that was available in the 1970 and 1971 Galaxie is the 429PI which is virtually identical to a CJ except maybe the carb or distributor. OH yeah, the CJ was only rated at 370 HP. The add is bogus, Hawkrod
Old 03-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

Hmmm. Interesting. The 429 is a whole different animal than a 428. I'll take a 428 all day long. I don't think they put 429's in Mustangs of the era. 70 & 71 Mustang's mostly had Clevelands in them. Some Winsors. With the exception of the Boss 429 of course. The 429's they put in the TBirds (those HUGE Tbird's) were far from a performance motor. They ran good just because of sheer size. No replacement for displacement I always say.
The suicide doors are cool.

Me I'd want an early 60's Lincoln conv 4 dr w/suicide doors.

I saw a cherry 70 Thunderbird on ebay, 429 pwr'd for $2500
Thing was mint.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Slight correction (my bad). They did put a few (very few) 429's in 71 Mach-1's & Couger's. Very rare !!! Mostly used in the Torino and Merc Cyclone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by byersmtrco View Post
Hmmm. Interesting. The 429 is a whole different animal than a 428. I'll take a 428 all day long. I don't think they put 429's in Mustangs of the era. 70 & 71 Mustang's mostly had Clevelands in them. Some Winsors. With the exception of the Boss 429 of course. The 429's they put in the TBirds (those HUGE Tbird's) were far from a performance motor. They ran good just because of sheer size. No replacement for displacement I always say.
The suicide doors are cool.

Me I'd want an early 60's Lincoln conv 4 dr w/suicide doors.

I saw a cherry 70 Thunderbird on ebay, 429 pwr'd for $2500
Thing was mint.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrod View Post
You do realize that a Tbird does not have a Cobra Jet don't you? A Tbird comes with a Thunder Jet and they are not the same thing at all. The Thunder Jet is probably worth $250-$400 depending on condition, The Cobra Jet is worth $1500-$4000 depending on condition. 429 Cobra jets were only made in 1970 and 1971 and were available in Mustang, Cougar, Torino, Montego and the various relatives of those cars. No Tbirds at all. A related engine that is almost identical that was available in the 1970 and 1971 Galaxie is the 429PI which is virtually identical to a CJ except maybe the carb or distributor. OH yeah, the CJ was only rated at 370 HP. The add is bogus, Hawkrod
Sorry that I don't I am actually very new to the ford world, born and raised GM... as my dad says I have gone to the dark side . I did know that the 429CJ is a desired motor.

I did have a 429 out of a wagon that I traded to a friend for his runing built 455 for my olds. I was given the 429 from a neighbor that had it laying amoungst all his chevy motors. It was a low miles motor that ran when pulled, then sat and collected dust, unless you know it's shot or junk never turn down a free long block big block...
Old 03-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Super-Experienced

TChicken is on a distinguished road

We forgive you as long as you don't go to CC's.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Tell your dad . . . that buying a toyota is going to the dark side.
I was into Mopars at one time. Truthfully, I'm a Chevy guy. Had GMs since the mid 80's (and been in GM Parts since the early 80's) Nothing but good luck with GM's.
The Ford was my dads car (bought it new) so now I'm into them again. I've always like TBirds (59 is my absolute fav) But I love this 60. My very 1st ride in a car (home from the hosp as a newborn) was in this car. Can't say as I remember that.

But back to my point. It's us (AMERICAN CARS) against "them" (the imports)

Oh BTW, I ride a Harley (wife does too - her own)
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 03-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Uh oh. My daily driver is a 2005 Mazda3 and I tote my family around in a 1999 Honda Odyssey. Two great cars, actually. Sorry.

I too always loved GM cars over Fords, still mostly do. The T'bird was Grandpa's and I fell in love with it when he brought it home in '78. I had my eye on it ever since.

The car I really have my eye on now is Dad's '57 Eldorado ragtop. It was the family car back in the 60's and Mom and Dad dated in it. Neat car, but I hope that Dad holds on to it for a long time, if you know what I mean.