This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:34 AM
Apprentice

inheritance is on a distinguished road
Default Clicking noise instead of starting cycle activation

When I try to start the 59, instead of the starter activating, it just emits a clicking sound from the solenoid.

I have removed the starter to ensure proper operation...it works strongly.

I have replaced the battery.

I have also replaced the solenoid.

What could be next?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:52 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Your ignition switch is probably bad. Does it start if you put the ignition switch on "on" and then jump the positive battery terminal to the "s" (start) terminal on the solenoid?

Old 11-22-2007, 04:22 AM
Apprentice

I have been trying a few different things. It looks to me that all wiring at the ign switch is tight, and in fair condition. Trying to jump the solenoid proves successful only about 5% of the time. Once out of 20 times i tried it, the starter spun.
Old 11-22-2007, 04:27 AM
Apprentice

I have inspected the solenoid/starter wire also which also seems to be in fair condition. Boy is the starter rough to remove.

There is also a firewall to engine ground, in fair condition also so I really don't think it is a ground issue either.

Could it be internal in the starter possibly?

Also I seemed to get smoking come from the white resistor mounted on the firewall with the two prongs, one leading to the coil. Any idea what that may be from?
Old 11-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

If jumping the solenoid does not make the starter spin all the time, you have a bad solenoid.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 AM
Apprentice

Sorry for posting again, but I am actually still having the same problem, purchased a second solenoid again, still same problem. Clicking, no starter activation. I am getting really frustrated with it.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:25 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

the smoke from the ballast resistor on the firewall is normal - it gets warm due to resistance which is what it's supposed to be doing.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:07 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Time to check with a voltmeter and ammeter. Check voltage on the starter side of the solenoid once it's energized. If that checks okay, try a ammeter for either a loose connection or bad starter.

You could also bypass the solenoid by touching a jumper --or remote starter button-- from the battery terminal to the starter terminal of the solenoid. This will take the solenoid out of the circuit completely and narrow any remaining problem to the starter or cables.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Apprentice

Once explained, it is apparent how easy it will be for me to troubleshoot. I am on my way outside right now, will be back with the results in an hour or so. Thanks guys
Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road

Be sure you have a good ground from the battery to the engine block, if the bolt on the engine block is lose you may be getting a poor ground.