This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
  #11  
Old 10-13-2007, 02:00 PM
tbirds8 tbirds8 is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: Nov 6 2006
Posts: 907
tbirds8 is on a distinguished road
Default springs

The springs on those cars are in between the upper and lower control arms I think? The 64 5 and 6 are on the upper only and you have to use a compresor.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-13-2007, 05:41 PM
scumdog's Avatar
scumdog scumdog is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 12 2006
Posts: 1,351
scumdog is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds8 View Post
The springs on those cars are in between the upper and lower control arms I think? The 64 5 and 6 are on the upper only and you have to use a compresor.
True, the suspension is not the average 'coil-to-bottom-arm type.

The compressor will have to be Godzilla strong to hold a T-bird spring.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-15-2007, 03:47 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,303
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
True, the suspension is not the average 'coil-to-bottom-arm type.

The compressor will have to be Godzilla strong to hold a T-bird spring.

Yep, I learned over the weekend when I pulled the wheels off, hmm, not setup the way I was imagining.

I went and got a loaner coil spring compressor from Autozone, one side out so far with not to much trouble.

The design of the tool is it drops down inside the spring and works really nice.

I am also pretty impressed with the brake setup on the front of the 65... will it fit on a 58 or 59 Bird?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2007, 04:41 PM
Hawkrod Hawkrod is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Oct 31 2005
Posts: 288
Hawkrod is on a distinguished road
Default

The 61-66 use a unique front spindle and steering arm setup. The exact same brakes were used on Galaxies with a different spindle and will fit a 58-60. Just look for a 65-67 Galaxie if you are determined to have 4 piston brakes. Fair warning though, they have a reputation for issue with locking pistons (mostly undeserved, the locking is not inherent to the design, it is related to wear and lousy rebuilders). For ease of maintenance, cost, and access to replacement parts many people use the 73-79 intermediate car front brakes. The spindles bolt right on and make for a very easy and inexpesive swap. Look for LTD II, Cougar (74 and newer), Torino, Ranchero, Tbird etc... Be sure and check to see if the donor car has rear drum brakes. The cars with rear disc brakes use a whole different setup and the wheel bolt pattern is different. Hawkrod
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-17-2007, 06:56 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,303
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkrod View Post
The 61-66 use a unique front spindle and steering arm setup. The exact same brakes were used on Galaxies with a different spindle and will fit a 58-60. Just look for a 65-67 Galaxie if you are determined to have 4 piston brakes. Fair warning though, they have a reputation for issue with locking pistons (mostly undeserved, the locking is not inherent to the design, it is related to wear and lousy rebuilders). For ease of maintenance, cost, and access to replacement parts many people use the 73-79 intermediate car front brakes. The spindles bolt right on and make for a very easy and inexpesive swap. Look for LTD II, Cougar (74 and newer), Torino, Ranchero, Tbird etc... Be sure and check to see if the donor car has rear drum brakes. The cars with rear disc brakes use a whole different setup and the wheel bolt pattern is different. Hawkrod
Man, so you are telling me the 79 TBird that I had a chance to take and part out for free actually had something useful on it ? And it might have a disc brake rear end? Would those rear end parts work on any of my birds, the 58, 59 or 65?

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-18-2007, 01:29 AM
Hawkrod Hawkrod is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Oct 31 2005
Posts: 288
Hawkrod is on a distinguished road
Default

Nope, if it has rear disc brakes it is all useless. The rear disc brake cars actually use big Lincoln stuff. The rears won't fit anything without mods and the wheel bolt pattern is different from the rest of the Fords. Hawkrod
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 PM
RustyNCa RustyNCa is offline
Super-Experienced
 
Join Date: May 31 2007
Posts: 1,303
RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default

Okay, then, what parts off the 79 would I need to take for my 59? Just front spindles and calipers, or more?

Thanks
Bryan
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
Hawkrod Hawkrod is offline
Experienced
 
Join Date: Oct 31 2005
Posts: 288
Hawkrod is on a distinguished road
Default

I would grab the master cylinder, junction block/proportioning valve assembly and front spindles calipers rotors etc... The parts you don't use will be good cores. Hawkrod
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Driving, racing or working on cars can be hazardous. The procedures and advice on this website including the message board are opinion only. Squarebirds.org and its webmasters and contributors do not guarantee the correctness of the advice and procedures. The Squarebirds.org and its webmasters assume no liability for any damage, fines, punishment, injury or death resulting from following these procedures or advice. If you do not have the skills or tools to repair your car, please consult a professional. By using this site you agree to hold harmless the Squarebirds.org, its authors and its webmasters from any resulting claim and costs that may occur from using the information found on this site.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Any submissions to this site and any post on this site becomes property of Squarebirds.org . The webmasters reserve the right to edit and modify any submissions to this site. All material on this is site is copyrighted by the Squarebirds.org. Reproduction by any means other than for personal use is strictly prohibited. Permission to use material on this site can be obtained by contacting the webmasters. Copyright 2002-2016 by Squarebirds.org.