This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:55 PM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road
Default PS Control Valve Ball Stud Removal

I need to remove the PS control valve and I'm having a bear of a time getting the control valve ball stud out of the sector shaft arm. I've removed the cotter pin and castle nut and I've been banging away at the stud to no avail. I've even had a go at it with a pickle fork, but not too hard because I don't want to break anything important (messing up the stud and boot are fine, I'm replacing them).
Old 10-13-2007, 02:38 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

I leave the castle nut on part way to protect the threads of the stud. Penetrating oil and patient soft tapping should eventually loosen it. I pickle fork and hard banging will damage the valve. T-Bird vendors are now refusing to take in cores that are damaged in this way.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
I leave the castle nut on part way to protect the threads of the stud. Penetrating oil and patient soft tapping should eventually loosen it. I pickle fork and hard banging will damage the valve. T-Bird vendors are now refusing to take in cores that are damaged in this way.
Too late for the threads, unfortunately, I've buggered them up pretty good. Can't get the nut back on. I'm replacing the stud, so I'm not worried about the threads, but I do need to be able to get it out!

How do I get penetrating oil in there since I can't get access to the top? Spraying the bottom isn't likely to help, is it?

Banging on the stud will damage the control valve? I understand that banging on the valve would, but the studs off to the side.

I hope I haven't already made a mess of it.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

You need to get the penetrating oil at the joint of the of the control valve stud and the steering linkage.

I know these control valves are a pain to get out after 40 plus years. Soak and tap. Soak overnight ifneedbe. Tap, tap, tap and suddenly it just breaks loose.

Okay, it sounds like you ruined the ball stud at the thread end. That's okay. The ball inside should be okay along with the cylinder. Just don't use a pickle fork - it will damage the valve.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:09 PM
Super-Experienced

bcomo is on a distinguished road

Alexander & Doug:

Do you think that a Gear Puller would do it? The one in mind is like Ice Tongs with a threaded stud in the middle. Auto Zone may have one in their Loaner Tool.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Super-Experienced

I spent the day in the garage and for most of the after noon, between other tasks, I'd go over to the ball stud and spray it and tap it for a while. Nothin so far.

The puller idea isn't a bad one, but then again I was going at it with a pickle fork. I've got an unused spring compressor (and that pickle fork) to return to them, maybe I'll trade for a gear puller.

What say you folks?