This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Apprentice

inheritance is on a distinguished road
Default #8N17 Trans code...decode help

I can hardly get in there enough to tell what the numbers on the transmission are, but i found a number 8N17 or even 8NI7, on the pass side trans with a stamped oval encasing the numbers. Is that enough for a decode on what tranny i have or do i need more info from the tranny.

Last edited by inheritance : 08-08-2007 at 09:00 AM. Reason: corrections
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

I am looking at William Wonder's excellent book Thunderbird Restoration Guide 1958-66.
For both 58s and 59s there is a section on Transmission I.D.s (pages 28 and 46).

I believe the first number is for the year, so 1958 (8). The second character is for the month (N) and the last two are for the day (17). in your case.

The tough part is the N. He lists January through December as being represented by A- M (I is not used).

So my guess would be that yours translates to January 17 of 1959 at the tail end of the 1958 tranmission run. But that is truly a guess on my part and someone else might jump in here and set things straight or email an authority (which I ain't). A man named Alan Tast is perhaps the real expert on such matters.

The good news is that it precedes the date of manufacture for your car, leaving open the hope that it is the original tranny.

Is it a Cruis-O-Matic?

What was the date of manufacture of your entire car??

John
58 Hardtop

Last edited by JohnG : 08-08-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool Tranny Code

Inheritance John's suggestion is very sound. Check the VIN # and then you can work backwards to the tranny code and about when it was made. I would agree that at least it would appear that the tranny is original and should be a Cruise-O-Matic.

John: Long time no talk. How are things on the east coast and I guess you are heading into fall soon with all the colours??

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
Old 08-08-2007, 07:46 PM
Super-Experienced

Bob M is on a distinguished road
Question

John this is the second time you have Ref: William Wonder book what type book is this and where did you get it
Bob M
Old 08-09-2007, 08:35 AM
Super-Experienced

fomoco59 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob M View Post
John this is the second time you have Ref: William Wonder book what type book is this and where did you get it
Bob M
http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbird-Re.../dp/0760303908

I have it... good reference book.

Mike Lemmon
'59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461
Old 08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Thanks, Mike!!

Aaron, what do you find for a tag on the bell housing??? It might be interesting to compare the date of mfct of that with the tranny information.

john

Last edited by JohnG : 08-09-2007 at 09:37 AM.