This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:50 PM
Apprentice

booalou is on a distinguished road
Default Valve cover gaskets

After I had my "thunderbird" valve covers chrome I installed new rubber gaskets with some fancy high boy bolts. I found that due to vibration these always come loose from vibration. My question is if I remove the valve covers clean the gasket of oil and reinstall with stainless steel bolts do you think this will stop the leaks?
Old 06-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Webmaster

Alexander is on a distinguished road

Welcome.

Yes, you can stop the leaks from the valve covers. One big way that valve covers leak is from over-tightening the bolts. they should only be torqued to 5 to 8 ft-lbs. That's not much. Pretend you have a broken hand if you are tightening them without a torque wrench.

You should look at your valve covers. You will probably see that they are bent down at the holes where they were overtightened. You can straighten these by using a small hammer, and two pieces of hard wood. Turn the valve cover upside down and lay the edge on the wood block. Put another piece of wood on the inside lip of the valve cover, and then tap the wood with a hammer until the edge is straight. Do not over do it and bow it in the other direction.

A clean gasket with a thin layer of silicone sealant helps eliminate the leakage problem.