This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

you might need a longer pushrod. I needed a longer one when I got rid of the original master cylinder and went to a dual master.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Boy View Post
you might need a longer pushrod. I needed a longer one when I got rid of the original master cylinder and went to a dual master.
That's a good point. Do you still have the single master cylinder or was it changed out to a dual master cylinder.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 PM

Red Leather Feather is on a distinguished road

I think I just resolved the brake problem. I did get the master cylinder today. After about 30 minutes of trying to seat it, I realized the rod was adjustable! I shortened it, presto! The master cylinder fit on there. I think the pedal is a bit low though, yet. I think I can also adjust the pushrod, and, I will try that soon. Meanwhile, I am after another problem, I started another thread about a ground wire. There is a dead short somewhere. This car needs a lot, hasn't been driven in 12 years, but runs and drives. Not much rust. I did order a Shop Manual, it should be here in a couple days. I am sensitive about that, needlessly, because you guys seem to be cool, but, I had a 1950 Cadillac, and the Cadillac guys made a big deal about the shop manual, so big I left the site.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Shop manuals provide a lot of information on your car, however the guys that are out here working and fixing these cars everyday provide invaluable information. There is a lot to be said about "first hand information". As always, the car is yours and you can do what you want, but I have received a lot of valuable information from this site. This is a really general thank you for all of you that helped me get my car back together and on the road. There will always be new challenges, but I look forward to the advice from those that have "been there, done that".
Nyles
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The shop manual is a tool for you to use but it's not going to answer all your questions. That's why this forum is here. To fill in the blanks. Another great part of the forum is the Technical Resource Library that we've put together with the help of our members. That will also answer a lot of your questions that the shop manual doesn't.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-11-2017, 01:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Leather Feather View Post
...but, I had a 1950 Cadillac, and the Cadillac guys made a big deal about the shop manual, so big I left the site.
Why? The Shop Manual is basically the manufacturer's engineers who are trying to explain the correct way your car is put together.

Ford Shop Manuals are no different. We go by 'the book' unless newer or improved parts or methods prevail. That is why everyone here encourages buying the Shop Manual. You have read our posts that reflect the same.

A dead short sounds intimidating but it really is not. Here is how to troubleshoot a grounded power wire:

Think of the assembler on the line. He only gets one minute to do his job so all the wiring is done with connectors and the harnesses are arranged in sections.

It would be helpful to know what circuit is shorted so I could be more specific but here it goes...

I have a blown fuse that I soldered a long speaker wire to. How long? Long enough to see the light while working in the trunk.

Both speaker wires on one end are connected to each end of the blown fuse. The other end of the wire is connected to a 12-volt light bulb. It's important to use a bulb that will draw a load, therefore LEDs won't do well at all. Try to find one that will not get hot enough to burn your carpeting.

Pull the bad fuse and replace it with this 'test light-fuse'. Immediately, the light should shine. Start pulling connectors apart until the light goes out. Follow that wire downstream until you get to the culprit.

There are circuits that have NO FUSE (like your ignition circuit). In that case, pull one battery lead off and connect your test light to the battery post and the battery cable you just removed. Again, if you have a shorted wire, the light should shine.

Most electrical faults on a car are due to exposure to rain and weather, like license plate lamps or front signal lamp holders. On occasion, you may find a wire pinched from someone replacing sheet metal parts. Some cars with more plugs and receptacles, have had problems in that area. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca