This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Red Leather Feather is on a distinguished road
Default New Member Question Already Brake Pushrod

Hi, just bought a 1960 T Bird. Black with red leather. Love it! Always wanted one, but, it needs a lot of work. This seems like a laid back forum, I hope my questions don't bother you too much, yeah, I know, I need an Owner's Manual. My first priority is the brakes, it actually runs pretty good. I ordered all the brake parts, I have a friend who has a lift to help me. We looked at the brake pedal, it is on the floor, the pushrod is not connected to the master cylinder. It seems like it is a ball and socket. Do you just push it together like my older sister's shoulder, which sometimes pops out of its socket? Is there some sort of pin or c clip missing? Will it reach? Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Post as many times as you like. If we can we'll try to answer your questions. As for the push rod it just slides into the master cylinder. There's nothing that holds it in place. Do you have the booster on the firewall. Non A/C cars that had power brakes came with the under hood booster. A/C equipped cars came with the under dash Kelsey Hayes booster. In addition to an owners manual you should also get a shop manual. You can download a digital copy for less than $20 on various sites.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-06-2017, 08:48 PM

Oops, I meant shop manual. Thanks, I didn't know I could get it on line. Thanks for quick reply. Yes, underhood booster, no A/C. OK, I will push it in there when we do the brakes, which should be soon. Hey, JUST like my sister's shoulder...
Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

Edward, when you need parts, if you have not found it yet, look in the Advertisements Forum. There you will find all the major tbird parts houses listed, including Rock Auto, who is a member of this Forum. They give us a 5% discount on parts ordered online with them. The discount code will also be found there. You should call or email all the major Tbird parts houses and ask them to send you their free catalogs. You will need them for price comparisons and availability. In our Technical Resource Library you will find many, many tips on how to repair or restore your Squarebird, including the wiring diagrams. They can be printed out. Congratulations on acquiring your Tbird and may you have many years of enjoyment with it. You have found a great Forum to assist you in getting her roadworthy again!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 10-07-2017, 12:56 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Welcome to Squarebirds.org, Edward. For the most part, we reference the Shop Manual. There are portions of the book that need further explanation and of course many changes have come about during the past 50 years so those changes or improvements will not be in the books.

We are here to answer all of your questions. To us, all your questions are important. The only question that is trivial is the one not asked. So feel comfortable that we are here to help put your Thunderbird back on the road again, safely.

Since 1960 many improvements have come about like radial tires, electric wipers, disk brakes, heavier sway bars, seat belts, etc. I encourage you to make these changes even though all of them depart from 'stock', especially if you load your family in the car and drive it on our interstate highways among modern cars equipped with the latest safety options.

It is my opinion that a stock 1960 car (of any type) is dangerous among today's traffic. I read that you purchased new drum brake components. You may consider retrofitting to power disk brakes as many of our members already have (including my classic Ford). Again, we are here to help answer your questions and to make your Thunderbird truly enjoyable to drive safely. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 10-08-2017, 11:28 AM

Drove the T Bird around the block yesterday! All brake parts are like brand new except the master cylinder, which I am going to replace. However, it filled with fluid, and brakes bled. I am still concerned about the pushrod to booster link. Should I be able to grab the brake pedal, pull it up, and, see the pushrod come out of the booster? !
Old 10-08-2017, 11:49 AM

The push rod (part 2A385) just "floats" inside the booster when the master cylinder is off. There's really no physical connection that holds it in place as you can see by the diagram. Once the master cylinder is installed it will hold tight.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60 booster.jpg (278.5 KB, 47 views)

Old 10-08-2017, 12:05 PM

I did have the old master cylinder on there, but, was still able to pull the brake pedal up, and, pull the pushrod out. Also the brake pedal is VERY low, is that correct, or is it higher than the gas pedal? Thanks for diagram. I am getting Shop Manual, just takes time.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:12 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road

If you have not bought a Shop Manual yet, get a digital one, or on a CD. That way, you do not have to take your book out to the car, and risk getting grease and dirt all over it. With the digital version, it is just a matter of printing out the page(s) you need, take them to the car and throw them away if you get grease all over them. You can always reprint them. You can't do that with the book.... Besides, a CD is cheaper than the book is. Check out any of our Tbird Parts House, like The Bird Nest, or any other one that offers the manuals for sale.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 10-08-2017, 12:30 PM

Your brake pedal should not be lower than the gas pedal. Since you say that the master cylinder has not been replaced it could just be a weak return spring or corrosion causing the piston to not return all the way to the end of the bore. Since everything else is new I would replace the master cylinder before I make any other adjustments.

John