This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-27-2017, 04:01 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Fitting an aerial to a Flairbird

Hi Ray,
Post this in Anything Goes in Squarebirds if you think it's worthwhile but if not enjoy the read!

Today I decided to fit an aerial to my '66 Town Landau, the old one was broken off prior to me buying the car 12 years ago. (some things take time!)

First I removed the left front wheel and inner fender - wasn't TOO hard.

Undid the old broken aerial base

Took the middle of dash out - also not to hard, so far so good.
"Tie string to end of aerial lead to make feeding the new lead easier" said the manual.

Did that after cutting off the old aerial base but no way was the lead going anywhere.

After much heaving and cussing I cut the old radio end off and duct taped the string to that end and pulled it through.

Fitted the new base then duct taped the string to the new end and pulled from the inside of car, the lead went in so far then stopped 'somewhere' and no amount of cajoling could get it to budge, even standing on my head looking under the passenger side of the dash revealed nothing.

So poked the rest of the lead through the hole - then found the new grommet was too big for the hole! (I had earlier noticed the new lead was thicker than the original) I tried every trick in the book but no way would it fit.

So in disgust I ended up using duct tape and body putty (dum-dum) to seal the hole!! Argh!

Notice the duct tape showing quality workmanship. ( no wrinkles!)

Then when refitting the inner fender the captive bolt broke loose and I had to use vicegrips and the help of my beloved to remove the offending bolt.

Finally, with all this effort I shed more blood than was lost at Gallipoli with my hands looking a tad chewed up, playing with a wolverine would have been less detrimental to my hands.
And spent about six hours doing so.

For you information and entertainment!!

Regards from sunny New Zealand, hopefully all is well with you.

Here are the pix that Tom sent me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2406.JPG (74.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2407.JPG (71.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2408.JPG (138.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2410.JPG (73.2 KB, 31 views)

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-27-2017, 06:02 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm wondering why Tom didn't use the original grommet? I think it would be better than putty, even if he slit it down the side.

The new coax cable might be larger in diameter but that shouldn't pose a problem for the original grommet.

Regardless, Tom's job looks good from the outside. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 09-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I'm wondering why Tom didn't use the original grommet? I think it would be better than putty, even if he slit it down the side.

The new coax cable might be larger in diameter but that shouldn't pose a problem for the original grommet.

Regardless, Tom's job looks good from the outside. - Dave
I would have liked to have re-used the original grommet but it came out in two pieces.
I may go back in at a later date and rectify the grommet issue as even though it's out of sight it irks me knowing that it's not 'right' in there.

I have a car event on the horizon and time was not on my side (still got a couple of things to do to the F100) and in frustration I just did what I could at the time.

Last edited by scumdog : 09-27-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:41 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Crazy Glue (Cyanoacrylate), my friend. It works wonders on rubber.

Parker recognizes cyanoacrylate as a proper bond for 'O' rings. In fact, I know guys who have 'O' ring rope. They simply cut off what they need then glue the ends together.

The same works for your antenna grommet. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca