This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:47 PM

Larry Tappen is on a distinguished road
Default wiring

hey guys, need some advise on wiring at fuse box on my 64 bird. according to the wiring diagram in the elec. book page#24 4135-2 the picture shows the fuse box with a jumper wire on the circuit breakers, but in the shop manual on page #15-10 fig. 2 shows the jumper in a different spot, so my question is which is correct. and also about wiring, the radio, mine is an am with fader (I think). i'm thinking if it has fader control thus volume control between front and rear speakers which are installed. now where dose the real speaker plug in at radio, or is it part of the large plug when they are together. i'm looking at page #e4-4648-1. thanks for the help, larry
Old 09-13-2017, 01:58 AM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road

Hi Larry does this help?

There should be 4x 2 pin connectors to the left of radio and 1x 4pin connector.
1/ Black/ Black green stripe front speaker
2/ Black/ Blue red stripe radio
3/ Black/ Black red stripe rear speaker?
4/ Black red stripe x2. This goes into one side of 4 way connector.
Then there are 3 wires that go into 4 way connector that also go to the fader knob on the panel next to steering column.They are 1 Red, 1 green, and I think 1 light brown. Hard to tell as my wires have paint on them.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by stubbie : 09-13-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM

Default wiring

thanks, stubbie. I see by your picture of the fuse box there are two jumpers, 1- short green wire 2- flat strap of metal which I don't have the medal strap but will make one. about the radio, I thought the fader control was on the radio, rear knob on the right side thanks for the help, larry
Old 09-13-2017, 03:53 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Tappen View Post
about the radio, I thought the fader control was on the radio, rear knob on the right side thanks for the help, larry
Not all radios had the rear speaker option with the fader. Does your radio have a four wire speaker plug. If it only has a two wire speaker plug then it does not have a fader.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 PM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road

Larry I would get the wiring diagram and confirm those black/ red stripe wires I'm not 100% sure were they go and I can't find my wire diagram.

Last edited by stubbie : 09-13-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 10:38 AM

Default wiring

sorry I had't got back with you about the radio john, my radio has the 4 wire plug from the radio and a 2 wire plug also. when I connect the plugs as shown in the book all I get is a little static sound through the speaker when turning the vol. knob up or down. being this is am radio only I've raised the antenna all the way for better reception, didn't help . this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it, thanks larry,ps maybe some one could take a photo of their am radio wiring and post it here, thanks again, larry.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Apprentice

OUR5T8BIRD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
sorry I had't got back with you about the radio john, my radio has the 4 wire plug from the radio and a 2 wire plug also. when I connect the plugs as shown in the book all I get is a little static sound through the speaker when turning the vol. knob up or down. being this is am radio only I've raised the antenna all the way for better reception, didn't help . this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it, thanks larry,ps maybe some one could take a photo of their am radio wiring and post it here, thanks again, larry.
The two wire plug is the radio power / light power ( both male type and one smaller than the other ). The four wires to speakers, one front and one back speaker .

ps. There are also two curved bracket at the side of the radio which , as well as support, is the radio ground to body tunnel.

Last edited by OUR5T8BIRD : 10-07-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:41 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
this radio was checked out by a friend of mine. he says it should work as he could not find any thing wrong with it
What does that mean? Did he actually hear it work? They are very easy to test with a speaker and a 12V source.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-07-2017, 03:56 PM

Default wiring

I guess I connected it right. it is grounded by the two side mount straps to tunnel as ground, I bench tested the radio with my 12 volt mini charger and a speaker and makeshift antenna, only heard scratching sound from speaker when turning vol. control up or down. maybe this is no good, thanks guys, larry.