This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:17 PM

Eddie232382 is on a distinguished road
Smile Can I put a 390 engine from a 64tbird onto a 1960 third with no modification

Any information will help thanks 😊 .. can I put a 390 engine from a 64 t bird into my 1960 t bird with no modification. Engine engine and transmission.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The engine itself is the same. The intake manifold is slightly different in that the carburetor base plate has coolant running through it. It also has a pcv type system instead of the road draft tube. It will work fine if you want to leave it that way. The only other issue you may have is the exhaust manifolds. They are different. You may have to reuse the 352 manifolds. As for the transmission the '64 has a vacuum modulator so you will have to run vacuum to it. Other than that they are the same. The '64 engine has an alternator instead of a generator so you will have to do some wiring if you are going to keep it which I recommend.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 09-05-2017, 11:43 PM
Apprentice

Infinite Monkeys is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The engine itself is the same. The intake manifold is slightly different in that the carburetor base plate has coolant running through it. It also has a pcv type system instead of the road draft tube. It will work fine if you want to leave it that way. The only other issue you may have is the exhaust manifolds. They are different. You may have to reuse the 352 manifolds. As for the transmission the '64 has a vacuum modulator so you will have to run vacuum to it. Other than that they are the same. The '64 engine has an alternator instead of a generator so you will have to do some wiring if you are going to keep it which I recommend.

John
John,
Your reply has me curious, I have a '60 with a 390. I don't know it's vintage. I currently have a generator, but the mounting bolt on the block, near the head is on the side, which I was led to believe is a later, alternator style block.
I do not have coolant through the carb mounting plate. I just replaced the plate with a plastic one. Does this mean the intake is maybe from the 352?

Also, I have a COM, which I assumed was the original trany, but I do have a vacuum modulator. Does this mean I have a later trany as well.

Eddie,
You may need new engine mounts as well. It is my understanding that the mounts you get will depend on the type of transmission you have. I maybe wrong, someone please correct me.
These are the mounts I have with a 390 and a Cruise-O-Matic.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunder...53.m1438.l2649

And:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Thunder....c100005.m1851

Last edited by Infinite Monkeys : 09-06-2017 at 12:10 AM.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:11 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The post '61 390 blocks have an alternator mounting hole in the front as well as the holes in the side for mounting the original generator bracket.

Early 390's prior to '63 did not have the coolant running through the carburetor base plate. It's possible they reused the 352 manifold.

All Thunderbird COM's beginning in 1961 had the vacuum modulator.

The 1964 390 motor mounts are identical to the 352 mounts. You can reuse your original trans mount on the 1964 COM.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm