• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • p38fighter
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 14 2016

Vinyl paint removal help please

59 Convertible

This is the yoke that is above the rear seat. It is damaged and needs to be stripped. However the coating which I believe is a vinyl paint has proven to be very resistant. In addition there is roof cement also applied to the leading edge. A real mess.
    I've tried a heat gun with limited success and worry about warping the sheet metal. I've tried aviation stripper and the result is unsatisfactory.

What have you all used?
    Attached Files
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's not paint. It's vinyl coated. It's pretty much trashed now. The only thing you can do is totally strip it and recover it in vinyl or just paint it.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

John is right, it's glued-on vinyl. So, how do you get it off? Try one of those 'cat whisker' wheels you put in your drill motor. It is aggressive enough to tear through the vinyl, then use solvent for the remaining glue.

Apply new vinyl the same way they did. I would use 'marine vinyl', something that is UV resistant. Jo~Ann Fabrics sells a nice selection and they usually offer a 20% off coupon on their site. CLICK HERE

Looks like you're in luck if you order before Monday nite. (60% off) - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎