This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:11 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

I just called Wiseco and Egge. Wiseco will do them for $1100 with moly skirt, or $940 without (either would be forged). Egge will do them for $1200, again forged.

Interestingly, Egge has the 462 cast pistons with what looks like the original "step" , but their cast 430 pistons are flat tops.

https://egge.com/part/egg-1000-e969-8/

Whole 430 rebuild kit here.

https://egge.com/kit/l430m59-60/

Lets say you add another $800 for the correct pistons, so we are at $3100 for parts.

It was suggested $600 for 430 head machine work. Lets add
another grand for block, tank and machine work. So we are at about $4700 for a mostly stock rebuild (with forged pistons, assuming self reassembly).

Not a crazy amount of money these days. For reference, here is a bone stock 2015 coyote long block.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-perf...7/p/M6006M50A/
Old 08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Experienced

The more I look, I'd think I'd just source a 462 and rebuild that.
Should drop right in where a 430 goes, yes?

And just like the 390, the 462 will look just like a 430.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-1967-LI...ZZHfCT&vxp=mtr

Rebuild kit with what looks like correct pistons for $1800 here

http://www.bakersauto.com/ENGINE-REB...oductinfo/ERK/
Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1 View Post
...Whole 430 rebuild kit here.

https://egge.com/kit/l430m59-60/

Lets say you add another $800 for the correct pistons, so we are at $3100 for parts.

It was suggested $600 for 430 head machine work. Lets add
another grand for block, tank and machine work. So we are at about $4700 for a mostly stock rebuild (with forged pistons, assuming self reassembly).

Not a crazy amount of money these days. For reference, here is a bone stock 2015 coyote long block.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-perf...7/p/M6006M50A/
And the difference is, the Coyote engine is sold outright. The entire engine is light weight aluminum that produces 435HP right out the box. It features a roller cam and it is balanced.

By contrast, US$4,700 is a terrible price because you end up with a heavy cast iron engine that was assembled with cheap components, uses flat tappets and is not balanced. Expect 80,000 miles, like when the 1960 engine was new.

When I overhaul an engine I assume nothing. I take it all the way down, machine the castings, then use name-brand components and premium parts like, FelPro gaskets, Cleveite bearings, a true roller timing set, Hastings moly rings, Mellings oil pump and intermediate shaft, brass core plugs, etc. I also choose a proper cam for the intended service, and time it accordingly. My recent builds included roller cams for today's oils (so do OEMs). Expect 250,000 miles between overhauls, iike modern engines.

I'm not knocking Egge's offering, at least they have one, but their components are mediocre at best. Cast pistons in a naturally aspirated engine work perfectly fine but I use hypereutectic alloy aluminum with moly rings (and so do the OEMs).

The best combination (for me) is to source domed 430 pistons then hand pick all the other components. Curiously, the kits may be available including pistons but individually, their pistons are typically out of stock because the bundle fetches bigger profits. I guess they need to make money some how... - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-03-2017, 05:40 AM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Those figures scare me US $4,700 would pay for a mild rebuild of a 302 Windsor over here - and that would not include alloy head.

Heaven forbid my 390 ever needs rebuilding...

(PS My mate's getting his 428CJ rebuilt, I will report in the cost)
Old 08-03-2017, 11:13 AM
Experienced

pbf777 is on a distinguished road

[quote=OX1]The more I look, I'd think I'd just source a 462 and rebuild that.

Note that the bellhousing bolt pattern is different between early MEL's (pre-1961?; same as FE's) vs. latter units such as 462's (2 different; unique).

Scott.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:41 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected
By contrast,............. Expect 80,000 miles, like when the 1960 engine was new.
............. Expect 250,000 miles between overhauls, iike modern engines.Dave
Although I agree, that with more modern materials, and some, improved component engineering, one can anticipate extending the functioning life of the engine, yes!

But, probably the greatest improvement in extending this life span was achieved with the introduction of fuel injection vs carburetors (fuel control); and therefore I'm not sure that one will still acquire the comprable performance life of the modern examples.

Scott.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Experienced

[quote=pbf777;110045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1
The more I look, I'd think I'd just source a 462 and rebuild that.

Note that the bellhousing bolt pattern is different between early MEL's (pre-1961?; same as FE's) vs. latter units such as 462's (2 different; unique).

Scott.
385 series bellhousing? Yet another reason, as I have 5 or 6 of them sitting around from parting out 70's FSB's and trucks.
Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
And the difference is, the Coyote engine is sold outright. The entire engine is light weight aluminum that produces 435HP right out the box. It features a roller cam and it is balanced.

By contrast, US$4,700 is a terrible price because you end up with a heavy cast iron engine that was assembled with cheap components, uses flat tappets and is not balanced. Expect 80,000 miles, like when the 1960 engine was new.

When I overhaul an engine I assume nothing. I take it all the way down, machine the castings, then use name-brand components and premium parts like, FelPro gaskets, Cleveite bearings, a true roller timing set, Hastings moly rings, Mellings oil pump and intermediate shaft, brass core plugs, etc. I also choose a proper cam for the intended service, and time it accordingly. My recent builds included roller cams for today's oils (so do OEMs). Expect 250,000 miles between overhauls, iike modern engines.

I'm not knocking Egge's offering, at least they have one, but their components are mediocre at best. Cast pistons in a naturally aspirated engine work perfectly fine but I use hypereutectic alloy aluminum with moly rings (and so do the OEMs).

The best combination (for me) is to source domed 430 pistons then hand pick all the other components. Curiously, the kits may be available including pistons but individually, their pistons are typically out of stock because the bundle fetches bigger profits. I guess they need to make money some how... - Dave
Was just using it as an example of what motors cost these days.
Funny with all that technology and a 4.17 first gear, it does not have the off idle torque of a worn out 430 (some of it is the crappy response of throttle by wire, but most of it is just lack of cubes).

250K miles, is about what I do, total mileage in all vehicles, in 20 years. I won't see 20K on any of my classics in 20 years. After that, I'll worry about it if you are still aloud to drive at all, let alone drive ICE vehicles.

I guess my moms orig 60, bought new by my dad and had 90K on it when it was parked in 77, was a real fluke then, huh?? Still ran just as well as it did when new (started to have some wierd electrical gremlins in headlights and Mom wanted new car, which unfortunately for her was a 77 Granada, a POS the day it came off the line and just got worse from there).
Old 08-03-2017, 03:26 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1
385 series bellhousing?
Nope!!!

Although, the 462 MEL C6 transmission will bolt-up properly to 385 series engine block.

Scott.
Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Amateur Knuckle Buster

del is on a distinguished road

which unfortunately for her was a 77 Granada, a POS the day it came off the line and just got worse from there.

My very 1st brand new car was a 1976 Granada. Worst car I've EVER owned.
1960 HT 352
TBird Registry 34042