X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Hi
    Probably not much help but I have just looked on what I think is the generator originally fitted to my 58 Squarebird.The end plate has the Fomoco logo impressed on it and the body is marked with G and F and 12V.I seem to recall making an efficient item out of 3 used generators.The shop manual does not specify any particular brand of generator.
    Peter
    Last edited by newyear; July 9, 2017, 07:39 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by newyear
      ...The end plate has the Fomoco logo impressed on it and the body is marked with G and F and 12V...
      Yes, 'G' is the ground terminal, 'F' is the field terminal. There should be one more marked, 'A' for armature:

I've seen starter motors and generators, freshly rebuilt but they refused to work because too much paint was applied to the end plate. This insulated it from ground. It doesn't take much to hold back six or twelve volts.

As with the starter motors, generators came in 6-volt and 12-volt versions. They both look identical from the outside, brushes may be the same as well but field windings are quite different.

It may be that Ford produced their own generators and starter motors but I have to believe that vendors also helped, given the numbers required to keep up with 20 assembly plants and service parts. These parts were used in cars (Ford, Lincoln, Edsel, Mercury), trucks, construction equipment, marine and tractors. The same starter motors and generators were assembled in Flat Head, Y-Block, FE, and MEL engines with only slight variations. For instance, they moved the starter post in MEL engines because it was in the way of the exhaust manifold. - Dave
      Last edited by simplyconnected; July 9, 2017, 10:05 AM.
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• eddy blackstar
        • Mar 1 2017

hi dave
        found this http://www.rubberconnection.com.au/p...-NOT-FOR-LUCAS as a kit
        Last edited by YellowRose; July 10, 2017, 09:08 AM. Reason: Fixed broken link

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Originally posted by eddy blackstar
          Wow! That's the first kit I've ever seen. Good to know that someone carries an armature but again, don't buy one unless you need it.

Brushes (here) are US$6 per PAIR at Rock Auto. Generators used a couple different size bearings depending on if the gen was heavy duty or not.

The way to do this is to take your gen apart, clean it and inspect. Bits of highly conductive carbon will cover the inside along with road oils. I use diesel fuel to clean mine, then gently blow it dry.

If you need anything, measure the old part and order the same. The only critical part is the commutator. You want to catch worn or stuck brushes before they ruin the copper segments.

While you're at it, do your starter motor. Same drill but you can order once and possibly kill two birds with one shipping charge. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎