X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • orwin
    1960 Tbird
    • Jun 17 2008

430 Starter Dilemma

Hello - I haven't posted in a while, but I'm now doing final reassembly of my '60 430HT. After 10 years, bodywork, paint and chrome are all done, It's nice to work on ***clean*** parts. It is a 430 and was running when disassembled.

I made the DUMB mistake of running the starter while loose on the bench. Now the Bendix is "out" and won't retract. I now (belatedly) understand how that works and have been told that if I just install it as-is, it should retract the first time the engine fires up. There was also a video online of a guy using a bench grinder with a wire wheel to somehow spin it up and bang it closed. That is a little scary.

I have read the posts and various horror stories about replacing the starter on the 430 when the engine is in the car. Should I just put it back in as-is and hope for the best? Or should I try to get a replacement starter and/or Bendix.

Your thoughts and advice are welcome.

Thanks,

John
    John Orwin
    1960 HT 430
    VTCI #11290
    Tbird Registry #1590
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I did the same thing and had the starter drive locked in the engage position. I used the wire wheel trick and spun the starter drive on a separate shaft and it retracted. Really wasn't scary at all and it worked like a champ.
    Here is a link to some previous posts on the subject: http://squarebirds.org/vbulletin/sho...=starter+drive
    Nyles

Comment

• Ickaber
      Apprentice
      • Mar 22 2013

I was able to undo mine using a steel hook to push the pin back in and spin it up. Simplyconnected documented it here: http://squarebirds.org/users/simplyc...tarter/#Bendix, but I'm linking to the pictures from there as well.

Inside the red box is a pin that moves towards the outside with centrifugal force, or with the help of a hook.

Good luck!

Comment

• orwin
        1960 Tbird
        • Jun 17 2008

430 Starter - no joy

Well I tried the advice. My starter drive must not be like the example. There was no way to get any kind of tool into the gap to release the pins. The other idea (spinning up w/grinder) did not work either. I tried in both directions just to make sure. There is a video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTmxlDXL8hc that makes it look easy, but didn't work for me. I have ordered a rebuilt drive replacement for P/Ns 1CM-11350-C or C1AZ- 11350-A. Not sure if it will have the "exposed" spring or not or even if that matters. Pictures here:

John
        Attached Files
        John Orwin
        1960 HT 430
        VTCI #11290
        Tbird Registry #1590

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

When this happens to me I simply install the starter motor. Yes, the first time you turn the key the engine will rotate. When the starter motor engages, the Bendix 'lock' serves an important purpose. It's not supposed to retract until the engine sends it back.

There are other times when the Bendix is 'stuck' out, like when you turn the key for a moment but the engine doesn't start. That Bendix never got up to speed nor did it retract.

The saving grace is, once your engine does start your flex plate will send it back home because the flex plate goes faster than the starter motor. So, there is nothing wrong with your starter motor or your Bendix gear.

Simply install the starter motor if you have ample room. My cars do so, no issues. Hope this helps. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bpetska
            Apprentice
            • Feb 15 2013

430 Starter Dilemma

I had the same thing happen to me and did what Dave said. Just installed the starter that way and all was good.
            Bill

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎