This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:58 PM

GH-Java is on a distinguished road
Default Clanking Transmission

Hi all. I have a 1959 that drives well and shift just fine. Well..

1) when I pull it to reverse a buzzing sound comes from under the hood that disappears when I put in Drive.

2) When I put the car in Reverse, I have to hold the breaks down REAL hard And it Still Jumps with a loud clank from middle to the back of the under carriage.

3) The transmission shifts hard with loud clanks when it shifts up or down. It happens more often than when it shifts smoothly.

I am not a mechanic. I have been thinking about flushing the transmission. Any ideas or advice? I appreciate it. G.H.
Old 06-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I don't think it's the transmission. It sounds more like a bad pinion gear or bearing in the rear. It could also be a universal joint. As for the buzzing I don't want to say it's normal but I've seen it on many Squarebirds I've had. I would check the trans fluid and make sure it's filled.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-21-2017, 08:24 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

John ....re#2....do you suppose the idle speed is way too high also causing it to jump

Eric
Old 06-21-2017, 10:12 AM
Experienced

Ladysmith Bob is on a distinguished road
Default Just another thought

If someone has put in a shift kit in the past it could explain the harsh up and down shifting - also would check trans mount - could be transmitting vibration and clunking sound through floor pan.
Sawmill Guru Registry #21424
Old 06-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH-Java View Post
Hi all. I have a 1959 that drives well and shift just fine. Well..

1) when I pull it to reverse a buzzing sound comes from under the hood that disappears when I put in Drive.

2) When I put the car in Reverse, I have to hold the breaks down REAL hard And it Still Jumps with a loud clank from middle to the back of the under carriage.

3) The transmission shifts hard with loud clanks when it shifts up or down. It happens more often than when it shifts smoothly.

I am not a mechanic. I have been thinking about flushing the transmission. Any ideas or advice? I appreciate it. G.H.
1. The buzzing sound in R is probably the parking pawl partially engaged. Adjust the shifter linkage.

2 & 3. The "clank" points to the U-joints. Look underneath the car at the driveshaft as someone holds the brake and shifts from R to D.

Flushing the transmission is always a good idea if you don't have a record of when it was done last. Buy a new pan gasket and filter, black RTV and a 12 qt case of good quality Type F fluid and bring it all to your mechanic. Make sure he drains the torque converter too. This same guy can change the universal joints and adjust the shifter linkage all in about two hours.
Old 06-21-2017, 02:06 PM

GH-Java is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your advice. I'll get the work complete shortly and share how it performs. Be well.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:52 AM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

I had major slipping in all forward gears, car literally wouldn't move until it warmed up. Someone here suggested adjusting the kickdown linkage (the piece attaching to the intake manifold at the rear). I did and when I went too far it shifted with a loud bang first to second, I backed it down until it was perfect....took 3 months of trial and error but it was winter and weather was not my friend.

Could be something as simple as the linkage is out 1/2 a turn! Try it, it's free. Lastly before you start make sure the linkage arm is tight on the shift arm on the transmission
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm