This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:37 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road
Default Swift Sure Power brakes

Hi guys, just a quick question. What is Swift Sure brakes and how do you know if your car had them? My 59 has an under dash booster. So i would think that means power brakes, but what was Swift Sure?
Old 02-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Swift Sure was a name Ford Motor Co. used for their power brakes (like SelectAire or Polar Aire). Use of the Swift Sure pedal started in 1955 and it appeared on various Ford cars with automatic transmissions through 1962.

I think the Thunderbird line only used this pedal from '55-'58. So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 02-22-2012 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:48 AM

Anders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Swift Sure was a name Ford Motor Co. used for their power brakes (like SelectAire or Polar Aire). Use of the Swift Sure pedal started in 1955 and it appeared on various Ford cars with automatic transmissions through 1962.

I think the Thunderbird line only used this pedal from '55-'58. So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.
My 58 have this "Swift Sure" pedal.
http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158
Old 02-23-2012, 01:41 PM
Experienced

Astrowing is on a distinguished road

My 58 has this pedal also. The 59's and 60's had the larger (wider) rear linings. And the 58's anyway had the split secondary linings with the ceramic insert originally. Did they drop this for 59 and 60? When did they move away from the under dash booster?

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
...So, your car may have 'Swift Sure Power Brakes' even though 1959/ T-birds used a pedal with "POWER BRAKES" in raised letters.
Oh, maybe I need to explain: In all the Ford Catalogs and books, if you see a year and a slash (1959/ in this case), it means starting in 1959 and every year after until the end of coverage for this Ford book.

So, we are saying the same thing but in two different ways. Yes, 1958 would be the last year for Swift Sure brake pedals on Thunderbirds with automatic transmissions. - Dave

EDIT: 1959 was the first year Ford used Bendix boosters under the hood.

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 02-23-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Apprentice

stu454bb is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies. So if I were to use a Swift Sure pedal with S.S. trim on my 59, it would be incorrect to the purest. I need to fit a new pedal, and I like the look of the S.S. trim. I recon I'll just fit one anyway.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 AM
Slow Typist

It really is a handsome pedal. If you have a few extra bucks to give your ride something nice but different, hey, this pedal is held on by one bolt and nut. You can always change it back whenever you like. Go for it. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 02-24-2012 at 05:18 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Experienced

63-4drpost is on a distinguished road
Default Bendix Booster usage

My 1957 Merc had a Bendix power brake booster under the hood. Were you just refering to T-Birds?
Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63-4drpost View Post
My 1957 Merc had a Bendix power brake booster under the hood. Were you just refering to T-Birds?
Yes. Ford, Edsel, Mercury, and Lincoln cars and trucks used some of the same parts before and after T-bird used them.

For example: Y-Blocks were used in late '54 before T-birds were introduced, and Ford stopped using them in '64. Not T-bird... they only used Y-Blocks from '55-'57.

Our '59 Galaxie came with a 292 Y. (The 'higher' V8 option was a 352 FE.)

As far as Bendix boosters, T-bird master cylinders are 5" lower on the firewall than Ford Cars. Bendix boosters on a 'bird have a different firewall bracket to raise the booster and M/C away from the transmission linkage on the steering column.

--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

Anyone need a "Swift Sure" reproduction brake pedal pad? Here's an EBay listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252874849018...84.m1555.l2649