This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:12 PM
Super-Experienced

RustyNCa is on a distinguished road
Default Spark plug wires question for you all.

If one is going with universal wires on a FE motor, 390 in this case. Is it necessary and correct to run straight or 90 degree elbow ends at the head?

Both the cars I have sitting here have the straight ends. Currently running stock manifolds if that is relevant.

Thanks for the input

RustyNCA
Old 02-23-2017, 04:37 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

If you are talking about concours correct then the ends would be straight. However I've seen aftermarket wires that were at a 90 so either one will work. I normally use the Motorcraft replacement wires that have the straight ends in red.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-23-2017, 04:50 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
If you are talking about concours correct then the ends would be straight. However I've seen aftermarket wires that were at a 90 so either one will work. I normally use the Motorcraft replacement wires that have the straight ends in red.

John
Thank John, I've left concours correct way behind me... just wondering what works the best operationally if you don't care about correctness.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:02 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

The quality of the wires is more important than whether they have straight or bent ends. You get what you pay for when it comes to spark plug wires. Cheap wires will usually break down faster. That's why I try to stay with Motorcraft or other name brand wires.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
The quality of the wires is more important than whether they have straight or bent ends. You get what you pay for when it comes to spark plug wires. Cheap wires will usually break down faster. That's why I try to stay with Motorcraft or other name brand wires.

John
Yeah, I was looking at a set of Accel 8mm universal wires. I need to make a new set, learned the last set is to short for the high rise valve covers I plan to run next.

I gave up on premade wires a long time ago, they never seemed to fit to my liking. The set I have now I made and made them to short to run around the covers, I made them to go over the covers.

Thank for the help John.

Cheers
RustyNCA
Old 02-23-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I just went through this and my first set by Taylor were crap. My second set was much better, available over the counter, MSD Street Fire. The spark plug ends are pre-installed and can be bent slightly. The distributor end you do yourself with their crimp tool provided in the kit. About $50 and you're done.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Used a Motorcraft generic set when I had the original engine in there. Never liked how the wires routed over the valve cover. Although it looks like the wires are resting on the manifold they actually are hanging a few inches above.
Spark plug side was straight and distributor side was 90 deg.

After installing the new engine and chrome valve covers I used a set of spark plug wire holders that attach to the valve cover bolts to route the wires differently. Still a generic set of wires (Advance I think) but a little longer to contour around the valve covers rather than over. Same ends - straight at the plug (but black boot rather than orange) and 90 at the dist.

Eric
Old 02-23-2017, 11:38 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
After installing the new engine and chrome valve covers I used a set of spark plug wire holders that attach to the valve cover bolts to route the wires differently. Still a generic set of wires (Advance I think) but a little longer to contour around the valve covers rather than over. Same ends - straight at the plug (but black boot rather than orange) and 90 at the dist.

Eric
That's perfect, what I was planning to do. I picked up a set of tall Weiand finned valve covers for the TBird and never thought about the wires being to short to clear over or around them.

If you click on the small thumbnail it will redirect you to photobucket for a bigger file.

But you can see the cap off a bit to get the wires over the covers.

Thanks for the help, it's very appreciated.

Bryan

Old 02-23-2017, 11:58 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

The plug wires had to come out one direction then reverse to go toward the front of the engine so that made it necessary for them to be a little longer than standard. Something was weird about the mounts on the wire holders and seems like a bolt hole didn't line up so I had to move the mount - all worked out but was a pain.

I've got 3 - 4 nice plug wire crimp tools (even a pro crimp) but the ends never seem to stay on as well as the factory crimped ones.

Here's the wire holder set I used.
Mr Gasket 9870

There are much nicer ones though...$$

That will look good routing the wires around those nice covers.

Still can't wait to hear that thing make some noise.

Eric
Old 02-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKheld View Post
The plug wires had to come out one direction then reverse to go toward the front of the engine so that made it necessary for them to be a little longer than standard. Something was weird about the mounts on the wire holders and seems like a bolt hole didn't line up so I had to move the mount - all worked out but was a pain.

I've got 3 - 4 nice plug wire crimp tools (even a pro crimp) but the ends never seem to stay on as well as the factory crimped ones.

Here's the wire holder set I used.
Mr Gasket 9870

There are much nicer ones though...$$

That will look good routing the wires around those nice covers.

Still can't wait to hear that thing make some noise.

Eric
I'd like to see what those look like installed
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm