This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:33 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default New Users '60 Squarebird W/Removable Hardtop

Here is what Tim ~ t4zbigrt sent me and had to say. I have asked him if he has any pix of the clamps locking the front and how the rear of the top fits into the body. I will post anything else he might send. Here is also some additional info Tim just sent. 352 Engine, SN 146218 = 46,218th 1960 Squarebird built. I happen to have the complete daily production numbers for the 1960 Squarebird production run in the TRL. On the 4th of April when his Tbird was scheduled to be built they had 400 scheduled and actually built 412 & 9 export models that day.

Body - 63A - Hardtop: Color - M - Corinthian White: Trim - 55 - Morocco Grain Vinyl Bolsters & Inserts - Red/White: - Date - 04D - 4 April 1960 - give or take a few days, depending if they were ahead or behind schedule: - Trans - 4 - Cruise-O-Matic: Axle - 3 - 3:10.

"Here you go Ray. These are the pictures as I found the car and as it arrived at our shop. Not even washed off yet! By the way, I also now know that the car has 15" wheels, not the 14's it came with. The PO's family just told me they have the 14's if I want them. The 15's explain why the car seems to have 77-79 t-bird hubcaps! Tim".

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 01-13-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 01-13-2017, 01:23 PM

I would like to say something to any of you who might be considering chopping the top of a hardtop to make it a convertible. Others have done this before but failed to take the necessary measures to strengthen the body. Before you do that, take a good look at the outstanding article by long time Tbird fan Bill Van Ess on what is required to strengthen a hardtop being chopped. There is a big difference in the construction of the body of a hardtop and a convertible. If one does not heed and do the modifications he provides, you stand the risk of long term and severe damage to the car, and possible windshield breakage. You will find his information at the beginning of the TRL. The PO of Tim's Squarebird either read that article or the person(s) who did this modification did and took the necessary actions required. Tim said that this was done quite a few years ago and as a result, there have been no problems with this Squarebird regarding that removable hardtop and the car body. Read and heed!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 01-13-2017, 03:58 PM

Ron of Chicago is on a distinguished road

Great car. Great job.

I too would like to see the close up of how it gets fastened. Are there clamps in the back also?

Ron
Old 01-13-2017, 04:08 PM

Hi Ron, read through his Post #7, and you will see that he said the front is locked in place with clamps (which he is going to send me pix of). The back is held in place by studs that go into the body. You will also see how the PO strengthened the body to keep it from flexing and breaking the windshield.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 01-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Very impressive find. I think that "tired" red paint will clean up and polish out rather nicely. The interior pot metal and chrome can be brightened up using diet coke and a blue scotch brite pad.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 AM

Tim has provided me with a lot more pix and commentary. You will be able to see how the front of the top locks
in place, much like it does on Babybirds and Retrobirds. You will also see how the back and sides of it lock onto
the body. In addition, you will see several shots of the engine bay. Thanks, Tim, for providing the pix and helping us document this rare modification and how it was done. Here is what Tim had to say.

"Hello Ray,
I took the pictures you requested today. I've been very impressed at the knowledge of the members of this forum and I look forward to their comments and advice. I'm also impressed at the engineering that went into this
modification. I'm thinking that the best I could do for this car is to preserve and restore what apparently is a
very cool "restomod" from the 1980's of a very popular 1960 Thunderbird.

This is a shot of the right side undercarriage where square bar stiffeners were installed. Note that the inside
stiffener is welded to the frame section that rises to loop over the rear differential. Following continuous welding,
the PO had the stiffener caulked to simulate undercoating.

Here is a shot of the four stiffening bars welded to the undercarriage. The two inside bars run from the rear
frame loops of the rear differential to the center tunnel just behind the transmission. The two outside bars reinforce the outside curve of the unibody longitudinally, adding support to prevent center body sag which could potentially occur when removing the roof structure.

Also note the classic, vintage glasspack mufflers which still sound like the 70's!

Hardtop removed

Headliner needs work, but here you can see the windshield clips which fasten the roof to the windshield.

Front clips are bolted to a steel bar running across the front edge of the roof, just under the headliner.

Slightly out of focus shot of the chromed drivers side receiving clip for locking the roof to the windshield.

This is the passenger side of the rear roof section of the removable top. The plate through which the chrome
bolt passes was apparently added as a bracket to hold the roof down on the body. Lateral support is provided by
centering pins on both sides of the rear of the roof section.

This is the drivers side rear roof hold down section (B pillar). The window is the rear windscreen. Note the chrome bolt which holds the roof onto the body, the (rusty) tapered pin centering the roof to the body, and the 12 volt electric wire powering the dome light on the removable roof.

Top down view of the receiving end of the roof hold down system. The largest (1/2") hole is where the tapered
centering pin goes, the hole in the white upholstered piece is where the chrome hold down bolt screws into. The
snaps around the outside edge are for fastening the tonneau cover when the top is off.

A few shots of the engine compartment. The chrome needs some elbow grease, but the overflow tank and the top of the power steering reservoir cleaned up beautifully! Tim."

"It's Hip To Be Square"