This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Wow, who would have thought so many owners of classic Thunderbirds would also be bikers!?

And so far off topic...lol!
Old 11-23-2016, 02:01 PM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

We had a Sprint. A 73. He bought that the year before the 74 SuperGlide. 1st MC I ever rode on the street. W/O a licence. I was 12. Ah, the good ol days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderherd View Post
'MY' first Harley was a 250 cc Sprint. Second one was a 1958 Sportster. (I was the 3rd owner, bought it around 1968). And it was the first Sportster sold new in my hometown. Current bike is, guess what. A Sportster. 2009 XR 1200. Great brakes. Runs awesome. Putting out just shy of 90 hp, with no internal mods. Put together my own exhaust system. 883 R headers, Ti-Force muffler. Used a coat hanger to make a template for connecter pipe then had a exhaust shop bend up the pipe. Runs great with this setup, and nice rumble sound. Really quite to. SEST tuner. Handles great. It, and I, love curves.
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 12-07-2016, 05:01 PM

SimonZ is on a distinguished road

Great thread, even with all the Harley talk. Ok, reading through this, I've decided I'm going with front discs and I think a dual reservoir MC. I've been looking up suppliers and such, and one supplier for front disc conversion says I would need to go with 15" rims to accomodate the calipers---bye bye original hubcaps. My '60 is bone stock---a/c with the bellows booster under the dash. My question: is there a full kit or a complete parts list that will take you from the brake pedal through everything needed to make this complete swap? I realize there are several options in the various componants (MC, booster, pedal rod, proportioning valve, etc.) but I'm reaching the point where I'd like to buy everything I need and get started on the conversion. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2016, 05:58 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

if you do a search there are a few separate threads just on converting to front disk brakes and dual master cylinder. It's been done and you keep the original 14" hubcaps but have to get a 14" rim off a Granada or something that came with disk brakes. I've got a 60 so the bellows etc is under the hood, I'm doing the dual MC but waiting for the disk conversion, the main reason is I like drum brakes and if you keep them adjusted they work fine, the problem is most people don't. I have an adjusting spoon in the car at all times. Takes less than 2 minutes to do.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-07-2016, 06:08 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Convert from single to dual master cylinder

Joe, you are a Paid Member, so look down in the Members Conference Forum. Then into the Members Only thread. You will find alot of information there for doing this conversion. You should find the Excel spread sheet on what parts to buy and where. There is a lof information there for you. Call me if you have questions also if you need to. I can help.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Two important questions:
Did your Squarebird come with power brakes?
How much of this work will you do yourself?

Brake work is not hard. Bending, cutting and flaring tube isn't either, provided you have the right tools and materials. But if you're the type that sets your house on fire from changing your oil, you need to buy a mechanic's time.

I've done Scarebird bracket and Granada spindle conversions on several cars. They both produce the same result with FAR greater performance than drum brakes. I'll say it this way, I don't know of one SB owner that went back to drums. Original drum brakes on a SB are dangerously under-powered. Disks will put you through the windshield like a modern car.

We are here to help. I suggest you amass all your parts FIRST. Time is on your side so you can save some money by shopping the sales. Get your list going and if you have questions, ask. We're here to help you.

BTW, several of our members who did the conversion still use 14" rims. Summitracing.com sells new ones, too. Once you put your full wheelcover on, nobody will see the brake or the wheel. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-07-2016, 07:18 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Some of our members are also using 14" rims off an early 90's Ford Ranger. They are relatively easy to find.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm