This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:05 AM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

I just picked up my car from the upholstery shop and it ended up costing more than I expected. I had purchased the preformed foam from Thunderbird Headquarters a while back and the seat cover set from Larry's. The foam for the front seats was so oversized, the shop showed me where it wouldn't work, no matter how much they tried to stretch things. I had 2 options: 1. to try and return the foam and have the shop make new from scratch. 2. Contour the pre cast foam to make it fit.
My thoughts were that it was probably easier to contour the existing foam. The shop did this, however that cost me almost as much to reshape, as I paid for the foam in the first place.
From my experience, I would strongly recommend staying away from the very expensive foam from our TBird shops and have a good upholstery shop make your foam.
The rear seat foam wasn't nearly as bad as the front bucket seats.
This was just one more challenge to overcome.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161129_092838_1480442200678_resized.jpg (78.4 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg 20161129_092949_1480442249509_resized.jpg (242.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 20161129_092953_1480442020509_resized.jpg (263.7 KB, 68 views)
Old 12-03-2016, 08:18 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default seat foam

Seat foams these days are being manufactured by Tbird Hqs, is my understanding and the other Tbird parts houses get theirs from them. Tbird Hqs and the Bird Nest make most of the parts that are being manufactured today, so I am told, by Don at the Bird Nest. So when you order seat foams or many other parts from, say, Concours, or Mac's, for example, if they do not have it in stock, they order it from the manufacturer, (Tbird Hqs or Bird Nest) who ships it to whoever you order from. Recently, there has been a problem with Flairbird door panels fitting properly that I addressed to Tbird Hqs. They said they were not aware of the problem, but they are now. The seat foam problems have been around for awhile I understand and yes, it might be better and cheaper if you have your interior guy make them for you instead of buying them and having them shipped to you, as Nyles said. Even I had problems with my seat foams when I had my interior done, and my guy was not happy with my seat foams. He had to trim and adjust them to make them fit properly. He told me that he could have made them cheaper and better himself. Just MHO...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 12-03-2016, 10:02 AM

fredhowdy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregz View Post
It was sad news to hear of the passing of Jed Zimmerman. This winter I will be having my interior re-done and was planning on purchasing new rear seat foam. I know he was a supplier to some of the Tbird vendors. My question is as far as suppliers go, which vendor seems to have quality foam? I was also thinking about having my trim shop make them, but this might be more costly then just purchasing them. I am not going with a stock pattern for my seats, front seats are out of a Grand Prix, so my back seat will have some changes made to them.
Hey gregz. Do you have any pics of your front seats and what year Grand Prix are they from.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:21 PM

gregz is on a distinguished road
Default seat foam

Thanks for the info Yellowrose. My car happens to be in the interior shop right now getting the complete interior re-done. I ended up having him just make new foam for the back seat. As far as the front seats I installed front buckets out of a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix. FredHowdy I don't have pics of the seats right now but as son as I get the car back I'll take some pics. I am going with a more modern pattern on the seats like the Grand Prix in leather. I am planning on installing a center console out of a 2014 Ford Fusion after I get the car back, hopefully.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Ray:
Your statements totally reinforce what my upholstery guy told me. I was just amazed at how much it cost to reshape the already expensive foam. Hope others will take our advice and maybe the foam manufacturer will finally get it right when people quit buying it.
Nyles
Old 12-03-2016, 09:48 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Reshaping foams shouldn't be expensive. Jed Zimmerman simply used a turkey knife and a 80-grit sanding disk. The knife carved out the rough and the disk smoothed it out.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-04-2016, 03:49 PM
Super-Experienced

One would think that is the case, however not with my upholstery guy. Had I known how much he was going to charge for the reshaping, I might have tried to return the preforms and just had him make new ones from scratch. Unfortunately, I didn't have the original packaging for the foam. I'm glad I'm finally over the hill with having to buy things. It gets a little disappointing with some of the quality considering the prices we pay.
Nyles
Old 12-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

I've done all the seats in two cars using foam from another vendor, and have had a difficult time (never done this before) pulling the covers, but turned out good results. I've sold foam sets to others (3 sets) and one person came back and said his upholstery guy could not make the rear covers fit. I showed him my results and I've not heard from him since. The covers are difficult to fit, but persistence and a lot of hand work will give good results.
I would not take my foam to an upholstery shop and ask them to fit the covers as this job is difficult and any problems they had would be blamed on the foam. Let the shop buy the foam or fabricate it.
Similar situation with convertible tops. Most shops are familiar with a certain brand of top, and if you bring one with which they are not familiar, any problems they have will be blamed on the top.
Carl
Old 12-05-2016, 02:06 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

On a smaller scale, I reupholstered two Amphicars last summer. I sewed the seats using the old covers as patterns, reconditioned the frames and I assembled the foams using spray adhesive, the turkey knife and the disk sander. I might also add, there were a few calls into Jed Zimmerman for a bit of direction since this was my first rodeo as well.

I quickly learned, no two seat covers are identical, ever. Since this is not an exact science, foams are meant to be 'adjusted' to the covers. That means, you can always add or cut foam in areas that need it.

My foams came out surprisingly good considering the original seats were from 1965, European, and nearly gone. The original seat covers featured channels with foam inside... but they were flat as a pancake and the old rubber poured out of each channel.

I studied the quality of different foams for the seat and back, which ones would last long and those that only last a few short years. It's natural that someone making money from this job will buy cheaper foam because in years to come, well, we'll talk about it then. Right now we want to get done, get paid, and get product OUT. So my job cost a bit more for the good stuff, using foam with a high percentage of real rubber. What a difference it made.

Check it out a few before and after pictures. The first picture is the car and the last picture is a brochure showing all the factory paint colors w/interiors those colors came with, so this is the bottom choice...
Attached Images
File Type: png AMPHICAR RED.png (321.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: png AMPHICAR FRONT SEAT BOTTOM INCHES.png (219.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png 033.png (216.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png DSCN2178.png (401.3 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png Image-5.png (362.8 KB, 39 views)
File Type: png IMG_2039.png (338.4 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png 008.png (281.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png 007.png (251.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png IMG_1884 Color Chart.png (381.9 KB, 40 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca