This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road
Default while we're on the subject of lights

So I switched all my dash lights to green LED, just because, and in the process I took the little hatch off of the light (which I assumed was a bulb) for the shift indicator. The thing is held on by one small short screw and in the process of removing it the wire fell out of the back.

All the wire does is makes a contact and I'm not sure whether something fell into the steering column but now there is nothing hold the wire in place. What am I missing? There is now just a round hole that the connector goes through, and it just falls out.
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 PM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road

That wire, as I recall, had the contact held by a small insulator backing. It has a tendency to disconnect and separate. It should be there still, and you'll have to use an adhesive to make them one again. Then it'll maintain contact again.

The same thing happened to me as these wires are delicate in their old age.

I'd like to know how you got your bulbs in the instrument panel. I can't replace the bulb above the ignition switch let alone the rest.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Here are some pics of what the shift indicator light assy. should look like.
Nyles
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5378.jpg (257.7 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5379.jpg (261.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5380.jpg (258.2 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5381.jpg (247.1 KB, 131 views)
Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 AM
Experienced

Thanks Nyles, as always you are the man! The spring and the insulator holding it in are missing, I can now fix it easily. Also I can put the green LED in there. I'll take pictures, I wanted red but couldnt find the BA9 in red, yellow, blue and green, no red! But the green looks pretty cool at night. I have to pull the radio to replace the one in there as well.
Red Leather Interior!
Old 10-27-2016, 02:30 PM
Experienced

Hey Nyles, thanks again, I pulled the thing apart and sure enough the insulator that holds the wire and spring in place had pulled off, a quick 5 minute job and it's fixed. I added the green LED in behind the shift indivator and now hte whole dash glows green, looks pretty cool, I'll post a pic, it's certainly not for the purists but.....
Red Leather Interior!
Old 10-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it all worked out for you. That's what this site is all about.
Nyles
Old 11-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Richard Honeycutt is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Lights

Did you have to modify the wiring to use the LEDs or was it just replace the old bulbs? I'd like to have more light on my dash and dome. Thanks for your reply
Old 11-16-2016, 03:43 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

You can add as many LEDs as you want with no fear or concern about damage to your headlight switch or overloading the wires. LEDs need no modification except for turn signal (1157) bulbs, only because the flasher unit needs heavy current to work correctly. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 11-16-2016, 01:28 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Honeycutt View Post
Did you have to modify the wiring to use the LEDs or was it just replace the old bulbs? I'd like to have more light on my dash and dome. Thanks for your reply
Didn't do anything except change the bulbs, mind you I only did the dash lights, not the 1157 bulbs in the tail lights. I bought cheap replacements for those but they weren't even as bright as stock, you need to buy good super bright ones for the marker and tail lights.
Red Leather Interior!