This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:53 PM
Apprentice

ramos291 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
I'm reading your words carefully. You ARE able to get the gauge to read, 'F', so do not adjust your gauge.

Most sending units come with instructions that explain, there are adjustments that may be necessary, usually by bending the float arm. The range of motion should be strictly up and down, not sideways.

Think of it this way, if the arm is too long the float may drop to the bottom but it may also go to the top of your tank without reaching the resistor's top stop. If you shorten the travel by bending the float arm closer to the pivot, the resistor's range will widen.

Of course, if the float arm is too short the gauge will indicate 'F' before it really is full AND it will show 'E' before the tank is really empty. This arm adjustment is not precise or hard to do. Use common sense and trial and error. If you can make your gauge indicate properly with the sending unit out of the tank, it should likewise indicate properly when installed in the tank. - Dave
Thank you Dave for your help here. If Im understanding you correctly, I need to drop the sending unit in matching its tabs with the tanks cut outs and make adjustments as needed by bending the float arm one way or the other to get it to read correctly? I will give that a try. I have done this before with other sender units but I wasn't aware of the location tabs.
I am able to get the sender to measure Full/Empty when the unit is out of the tank, just not while in the tank. No instruction were included. I think its just a matter of patients and time.
Thank you Again
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Randy, I'd like to demonstrate different results you can get by using different length float arms and/or bending the ones you have.

These cannot change:
The depth of your fuel tank,
How high the sending unit sits in relation to the mounting,
The range of your resistor from all the way full to all the way empty. There are tabs to stop the arm from traveling too far off the resistor so do not bend them.

Consider the picture below. I'm showing two arm lengths but in the longer one I put a bend in it. The angles of both arms span the same 103 degrees (roughly) and they both travel the full range on the resistor.

Depending on where your new sending unit sits, height wise, it may be above or below the center of the tank. In my illustration it is above center. If your sending unit is actually below center, turn the picture upside down so you get the idea; it doesn't have to be exactly in the middle of the tank to reach full range.

I'm showing different length arms to illustrate the effects if yours is too long. It's easier to make a shorter arm reach full range. One way to make the arm shorter is to bend it sideways like a '?' (when you look down on it from the top).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SendingUnit.jpg (114.9 KB, 30 views)

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Here is a Rockauto.com picture of your sending unit:

The locating tabs that John mentioned are on the bottom of the mounting flange.

Notice two bends in the arm. If you bend both of them more, that will shorten the arm. Un-bending them will lengthen the arm. Good luck. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca