This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-09-2016, 09:58 PM

SirBB is on a distinguished road

Additional question, with the Number that I have is there a place on the web where I can look up the original color, trim, axel, tranny, etc, all the info normally found on the tag?
Old 07-09-2016, 10:38 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Serial number tag

The fact that the VIN # on the Data Plate does not match the VIN # in the engine bay tells me that someone made some changes to that car that they are trying to cover up, for whatever reason. They made the title match the VIN # on the door Data Plate, instead of the one in the engine bay.

You asked if there is a place where you might find this Tbird listed. Check the Tbird Registry and go to the Browse Thunderbird Registry and click on Is It Already Registered? Enter one of the VIN #'s and see if that car is registered under it. If not, enter the other one and see what you get.

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/

Under Thunderbird Info, you can also look up the Data Plate information that will tell you what was on that Tbird when it left the factory. Keep in mind, that it appears you have a fake or reproduced Data Plate on that car, and it will only tell you what a previous owner wanted that plate to say. Not what it said when it left the factory.

0Y71Y tells you this... It is a 1960 Tbird when it left the factory because that is also what the stamped VIN # says in the engine bay. Y tells you it was made in the Wixom plant as they all were back then. 71 tells you it left the plant as a 2 Door Hardtop. That second Y tells you it had a 352ci engine in it when it left the plant. The first number of the VIN# will be a 1, as they all started with that number. The rest of the numbers will tell you when in the production cycle it was scheduled for production. Shoot me a Private Message with the complete VIN # on the fender skirt AND the VIN # and information on the Data Plate. I have the production records that I should pretty well be able to tell you when it was scheduled to be built.

You may want to see if you can find out if the car was stolen. Google for information on finding stolen classic cars. The problem you may run into is finding a website that recognizes the old style of VIN #'s instead of the newer longer ones.

If it is not a stolen car and you want it just to have for a daily driver.... well I will leave that up to you. But it would be good to know why someone went to the length of giving it a different VIN # and Data Plate information (perhaps) than what was originally stamped into the frame... or was on the original Data Plate.

One more thing.. Go to the Technical Resource Library (TRL), which is always part of my signature element. Click on the TRL link, do a Ctrl F (F or Find) type in Vehicle Check List. Print them out and if you are gonna buy that Tbird or ANY Tbird, use that check list to help you determine if you really want to put the money into buying and fixing that car.... It could save you from making a big mistake...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 07-15-2016 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling error
Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Usually the data plate is changed for two reasons. Either the car is stolen and the only way it can be registered is to get a title from a junker and have a new data plate made up or the title was lost and they got a title from a junker and had a new data plate made up. You can take a chance that it's not stolen but if it is your car will be impounded and you will lose whatever money you spent on it. Plus being in possession of a stolen car is a felony in most states. Even if it's not stolen if you ever want to sell it you will have the same problem explaining why the numbers don't match. I've been buying cars for over 40 years and I wouldn't buy one where the VIN plate has been changed.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 07-10-2016, 12:15 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Serial number tag

I could not have said that better... I would not touch that car with a 10 foot pole. Unless it can be proven that it is not stolen.. There have been other classic car owners who have bought cars that turned out to be stolen, unknown to them, only to have them taken away from them, and then going through an investigation regarding the theft of it...

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
Old 07-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

Yikes!

Might check on insurance too - doubt the insurance company would check unless there was an accident - but if they do - you're caught.

Data plate decoder
http://www.tbird.org/DataPlate/vdata.htm

Couple more in your area...

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/cto/5661696687.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/5614550056.html

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5675472719.html
Old 07-11-2016, 11:07 AM
Super-Experienced

dgs is on a distinguished road

Do the VINs on the fender apron and the cowl match? These are the proper VIN for the car and until this owner clears it up, I'd run away. If he blows it off and continues to offer it for sale without disclosure, I might feel obligated to report it to the police. It may be an innocent situation, but it smells fishy.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:39 PM
Experienced

tmjsong1aolcom is on a distinguished road

Could U post pics of the data plate and the vin numbers stamped into the places on the frame?

Tanx
Fuz
58's&64's
Sun Prairie, Wi.
tmjsong1@aol.com