This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffInCarlsbad View Post
Do that bang into each other?
I'm unsure how to explain it better than I already have. There is a clearance issue, easily solved.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Experienced

GeoffInCarlsbad is on a distinguished road
Default Got it.

Got it. Thanks.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:52 PM
Experienced

stubbie is on a distinguished road

Not sure about the fit on 61-63 models but on a 64 some people use a 66 shock tower brace top which has a curve in it.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Apprentice

booalou is on a distinguished road
Default Update

After removing the calipers to check the pads to see how they are seating to the rotors we found they are not. So we pull the grackets off and reinstall torquing each bolt. Even after this and isolating the rear brakes we still don't have a peddle.

Things we noticed

1. Passenger side bracket flexing much more then drivers side. Wouldn't expect to see the brackets flexing at all.

2. Instead of the pads sitting flush on the robots they're sittin like a "V" with only a small portion at the bottom of the pad touching. When you apply pressure to the brake the bracket has to flex for the pad to strike evenly.

I'm at the point to ask for a refund the kit infrastructure is not machined correctly in my eyes.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:00 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bob, the bracket needs to fit square and tight. I cannot speak for 'Tom's' but I can for Scarebird brackets. They have no stack of bolts or spacers. The brackets come as one piece with all necessary hardware welded in place:

Just three bolts and a spindle spacer. All the rest bolts on and is purchased locally:

I re-used my bearings and dust caps to save money. I bought new hoses (banjo bolts with washers) and seals.

If the hardware doesn't fit, make Tom pay for shipping back to him. I hope he straightens out his products. Thanks for posting and letting us know what's going on. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-03-2016, 09:20 PM
Apprentice

Default Brackets

The brackets on mine are two piece one bolting the the spindle frame then the other bolts to the bracket. Unfortunately they aren't square looks like a "V" and cause the caliper to flex a lot. The pads don't fit flush with only the lower part of the pad touching the rotor. So when you apply pressure to the brakes the caliper has to move sideways to close the V.

At this point I either need them to refund the entire kit or send me new rotors, brackets and seals.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Bob, were it me I would take the position of, in good faith you purchased a brake system that Tom claimed would work. It doesn't so the product is misrepresented. Tom should refund ALL your money including shipping charges. Then he should offer an apology for wasting your time.

Am I taking a 'hard line'? Not at all. Suppose you planned on installing this product next year, which is often done in long term restorations. You would simply be out of luck with no recourse. (Rebates work the same way; they know some folks never apply for the rebate while others lose the check OR the check is never issued. BTW, they require 6-8 weeks for a rebate which makes a return nearly impossible.) - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 07-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Apprentice

Default Hoping

Dave I guess I'll find out tomorrow what there position will be. I've already talked briefly with EBay to see what options I have.

The refund issue and the time I spent doing the install maybe an issue but the fact that I'm disabled with MS the time I spent is about as normal as I can do. Working only weekends on the car in the fact that 90% of the time spent was bleeding and trying to get a peddle I hope that will understand. So far Chris at Tom Classics has been understanding but we'll wait and see what the response is tomorrow
Old 07-05-2016, 05:14 PM
Apprentice

Default Tom Classics response

I received a response this morning from To Classics. That want to see picture proofing there's a problem with the machine work. I'll supply what I can but believe I'll have to fight for a refund
Old 07-06-2016, 08:43 AM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Very confusing thread here since at least two guys are doing a conversion. As I said in post 5 Tom has a quality control problem with his machine work that I found on my '64 kit. Yours may be similar. He grinds down the caliper where it contacts his custom bracket and on one of mine wasn't ground down enough.

My problem manifested itself as a howl when turning left unless I was also applying brake pressure.

Tom told me that the calipers were stock S-10 parts so I got a replacement locally for cheap. When I tried to bolt on the new caliper I found it contacted the bracket in two spots. I then carefully inspected Tom's caliper and found that he had ground them down at these two points, just not enough. The silver paint that he uses on the caliper makes the grinding work difficult to see.

So before you toss out the whole kit and send it back, carefully inspect to see if you don't have a similar problem.