This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-18-2010, 12:45 PM

'59 Jim is on a distinguished road
Default '59 interior

Hello all,

I just bought my '59 in Denver, and drove it 1,150 miles back to Memphis, a great trip, and more compliments than I could count. I am new to the squarebird family, and I am ignorant. Do y'all know of good places to get interiors (seats/covers), and a radiator? I hope I'm not breaking rules by asking these questions, but I figure you have more experience, both good and bad. Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim
Old 06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road
Cool

Hi JIM,

Nice one!!! As the Restoration rolls on over the months and the car starts to look better and better you will think of that day you collected that car, I think we all do remember that special day...well great choice as restoring one is not that hard and all can be found here to help.
And after 1200+ miles then i dont think you purchased any rubbish.

The more you learn about the Squarebird the more you will know how much a milestone car in Fords History and other car makers the 1958-60 T-bird is.

I have purchased interiors from Concours parts in Nevada and from Larrys T-Bird in California...always a great fit for my Fords as well as T-Birds.

Oh, and your not Ignorant don't put yourself down your a Squarebird owner now so keep you head up....and ask away! thats what this site is for..HELP!

Welcome
Kev.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:11 PM

'59 Jim is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks!

Thanks Kev! I do appreciate the help. Oh believe me, my head is held very high. Like I said, so many people stopped to look at the car, and complimented me on it, and the interior is not good, as far as the seats go. The center console is perfect, and the dash/glove box looks great. I found a clock for $75 if you send the dead clock back to them. It's funny, I want the cart to be as original as possible, but I also will never "store" the car for long. If I can't drive it, I don't want it. That's why the drive home was key to test the mechanicals, and it was great. By the way, do you use a lead substitute when you fill up? I have gotten some opinions on both sides of that question.

Thanks again,
Jim
Old 06-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Experienced

Rockin Kev is on a distinguished road

I have used Lead additives in the past but we can get 95,97 and 105 ron unleaded fuel here in the UK, but my New Bird has harden valve seats so no need for additives anymore, But if your engine is original then an additive will be best,
Kev
Old 06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default '59 interior

Hi Jim,

Most Tbird parts houses get their interior seat covers and door panels from the same source. Kev gave ya a couple of leads. There are more in the Advertisements Forum below. Bob's Bird House, The Bird Nest, Tbird Hqs, MAC's, are some others. Call them all and ask them to send you a free catalog. Then you can compare costs. If your seat foams are shot, and falling apart under you, Jed Zimmerman, who is a member here, makes most of the seat foams for our Tbirds these days, and dealers buy from him. You will see his information in the Advertisements Forum also.

As for additives, it is good to add some zinc to your original engine. ZDDP is one that a lot of us use. Because of modern day catalytic converters, the zinc content in present day oil has been greatly decreased. Our engines don't have catalytic converters and do need plenty of zinc. If you do a Search on "zinc" you will get a lot of comments. Here is one, from simplyconnected.
"All oil with 40w in the numbers (like 15W-40) includes 1,000-ppm ZDDP. I like using Shell Rotella because it is a low ash oil. For those who don't know, when oil burns it forms an ash and your engine oil must deal with it."

As for your radiator, rather than buy a new one, unless it is just flat rusted out and shot, find a good radiator repair place and have yours repaired. That is what I did with mine. They re-cored it and it is like new again. You can get new radiators with more cores, aluminum, or exact replacements, etc., but you might be better off just getting yours restored.

And no, you are not breaking the rules for asking questions! That is what the Forums are for, to help each other fix and restore their Tbirds. And also, you are NOT ignorant! You just don't have the knowledge about these Tbirds that others do. One of these days, you might be the authority that others turn to because you have learned to fix your Tbird with your eyes closed! If you have not bought a '59 Shop Manual, you will want to. It will tell you a lot about how to fix things on your Tbird. There are other books about various parts of your Tbird that you might want to buy also, but a shop manual is a first must.

Let us know how we can help you and welcome again to Squarebirds.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-18-2010, 06:06 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Great 1st post Jim, and congrat's on your new investment too.

I'd also recommend buying your interior items from Concours Parts and seat foams from Jed on here (http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=8196).

Post up some pics of that Bird when you have the time...

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Last edited by tbird430 : 06-18-2010 at 06:09 PM.