This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Experienced

jackbird60 is on a distinguished road
Default Gen Light On Constantly

HI, JUST BOUGHT A NICE 60 BIRD, AND THE GEN LIGHT IS ON CONSTANTLY.

SO I THOUGHT IT NEEDED A NEW GENERATOR. I FIRST MADE SURE THAT THE FIELD WIRE MATCH THE FIELD WIRE RUNNING TO THE REGULATOR. IT DID.

SO I INSTALLED THE GENERATOR , POLARIZED THE GENERATOR, AND STARTED THE CAR, AND THE GEN LIGHT IS STILL CONSTANTLY ON.

THE ONE OTHER FACTOR THAT I THINK MIGHT BE CAUSING THIS IS THE IGNITION SWITCH. IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACE BECAUSE THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN START THE CAR AND TURN OFF THE CAR, IS BY PUSHING IN ON THE IGNITION AND THEN TURNING. SAME THING TO TURN OFF.

COULD THIS BE WHY THE IGNITION LIGHT IS ON BECAUSE IT THINKS IT'S IN THE ON POSITION INSTEAD OF THE START POSITION??

JACK
Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Arrow

You might try cleaning the regulator contacts (over on the left inner fender).

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Experienced

Thanks ~~ The Regulator Looks Very Recent And Clean But I'll Look Again. I Know The Connection Are Tight And Very Clean. Still Thinking Ignition
But Not Sure.

Jack
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM
Experienced

Defientely Some Good Things To Check. Absolutely No Rust On The Car. Connections appear Good, I'll Recheck.

I Did Polarize Field To Batt. I'll Try Test.

Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 06:06 PM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Get a multimeter so you can see what the voltage at the battery is, with it running.

(as posted) clean the contacts. Had a new one once that did not function; cleaned the points with a business card and . . . voila!

A painted, clean car does not guarantee good grounds; often not as people painted places where there used to be bare metal. Sandpaper, small files and small wire brushes are key tools. Painters and body people care about how a car looks, not how it's electrical system works.

Personally, I keep a spare VR around just for situations like this. Quick change, fast info. Next place I go is to the brush holders in the generator. Crap can cause them to no longer move, resulting in poor contact and no generation.

John
Old 06-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Experienced

Hi John,

Voltage runnning Is 12.6 . Not running 12.8.

I tried the Field Test where I took off the Field Wire at the Regulator and touched the Batt of the Regulator. It didn't do anything.

I took the Regulator cap off and that thing looks brand new. I checked again for contact for the wiring. As far as the Generator, that is a New/rebuilt Gen I just put in. Which is giving me the same results. Chances of 2 Gens being bad are slim I say, but who knows.

Jack

Last edited by JohnG : 06-11-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:25 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

If your GEN light is on, it indicates three things:
1. The ignition is on,
2. The bulb is good,
3. The generator is putting out less than the battery has stored.

The GEN light is important.

How it work:
The Gen light is fed from your ignition switch with +12,
current goes through the bulb and out the firewall to your regulator (bk/y wire) on the "A" terminal.
"A" is your armature. The wire going from your regulator to your armature is 'tickled' with that small amount of current from your GEN light to produce a small amount of magnetism inside the generator. So, the other end of your armature goes straight to ground through two brushes.

Your generator isn't putting out. THIS IS A TEST: If you want to check your generator (to see if it works), pull the "F" wire off your regulator, and touch it to "B" (battery) terminal. That will put full +12 on your field, allowing your armature to produce at full capacity. Put a meter across your battery and watch it go up. If you rev your engine a little, don't let the voltage go higher than 14-volts.

Why isn't the generator puttin out?
1. Bad generator
2. Regulator isn't turning the Field on (possibly POLARIZING may correct IF the regulator is good).
3. Bad grounds on either the regulator, generator, or both. Make SURE your battery NEG is bonded to your car's body. Electricity cannot punch twelve volts through rust.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca