This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Busted Knuckles

Penelope is on a distinguished road
Default Poker Run 2010

Perth WA's biggest car cruise is Big Al's Poker Run and this years event saw 900 cars at the show & shine and at least 600 on the following cruise / poker run.

I took both of my birds with my son-in-law driving my 59. In my usual fashion I didnt take a camera as I am not a good shutterbug BUT there was a keen T-Bird photographer at the first checkpoint that was manned by a local hot rod club, the Cranksters. They were dressed in pirates outfits and made light work of anyone that argued! Or should that be arrrrgued.

Here are some photos of my 59, me and a navigator in my 60, a black 59 and a white 58 convertible that had 59 doors on it (go figure) and a continental kit.

A great day was had by all and my son won a bar fridge with his 63 Bel Air. Only fair as a tree branch broke off in the S & S and landed on his car (big dents and scratches).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 at checkpoint.jpg (2.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 60 at checkpoint.jpg (483.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg being flagged off.jpg (282.3 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg nice ride.jpg (3.1 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg another 59.jpg (3.3 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 59 conv.jpg (3.2 KB, 86 views)
Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM
Moderator / Administrator

Dan Leavens is on a distinguished road
Cool

Bill those poker runs are a blast and hats off to the club for putting it together. 600 cars on a run, outstanding. What's up with the 58 convert and the 59 doors??
58HT #33317 60HT # 23023
Old 02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Super-Experienced and Proud Kentuckian who bleeds Ford Blue.

Richard D. Hord is on a distinguished road

Hey Bill,
Man, that picture of your '60 is awesome! She is gorgeous!
I see your outside mirrors are mounted further towards the front of the car. Is that a good location? On Christine they are back towards the door and are about useless.
Richard D. Hord
Registry #33436
Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Busted Knuckles

Hi Richard, yeah they work well there! Some of the photo's I posted didnt size right (probably operator error!!)

Here is another go at it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59.jpg (327.5 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 5859mix.jpg (291.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg NICE.jpg (336.9 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg another60.jpg (340.8 KB, 94 views)
Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Poker Run 2010

Here is more of the story that Bill sent me.

http://tbirds.com.au/

Click on that link and then click on all the links within it to see more great pix! This is quite the event, considering the number of cars that are there! Enjoy!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-16-2010, 04:23 PM
Super-Experienced

tbird430 is on a distinguished road
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Leavens View Post
Bill those poker runs are a blast and hats off to the club for putting it together. 600 cars on a run, outstanding. What's up with the 58 convert and the 59 doors??
How can you tell, or do you know, that white convert is a 1958?

-Jon in TX.

The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:00 PM
Experienced

Dutchbird is on a distinguished road

Hi Bill,

Great pics, especially the one with both your Birds at the entrance!

First thing that came up in my head for a subtitle:
"Never leave your Wingman..."
Old 02-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Busted Knuckles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird430 View Post
How can you tell, or do you know, that white convert is a 1958?

-Jon in TX.
It has a 58 grille and the front script for a 58, 58 gun sights etc....but the real kicker - the license plate was 58BIRD. I tried to find the guy at the S & S to speak to him and ask him why it had 59 doors but couldnt find him. My guess is that parts like doors would be VERY expensive to get over here in OZ so methinks he went with what may have been available. If that is the case, one assumes he had them painted, so why not take the time to get the script etc right? Of course, he might just like the look of the 59 door spears, who knows?

Either way, we have another cruise tonight that is part of the whole summer sun cruising festival this week, so I hope to catch him there and solve the mystery.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:35 AM
Apprentice

Wyldie is on a distinguished road

Hey that was my grandfathers 58. The answer to you question about the doors is simple. My grandfather was far from purist. He simple like the look of the Chrome door arrows better. He also had 60 gauges in it cause he liked the white face better than the black.

Car is full opted power seats, a/c, steering, brakes. Has 15" rims, off memory they were a touch big and did rub close to full lock, but look good

My dad found the car rusted out in the bush here in Australia. Basically they cut the left and right sides off a coupe and put them on the convertible. When my grandfather sold the car he also sold it with the original 58 doors and the fibreglass 2 seater top cover and an entire trailer load of parts.

The car looks good, but it was rebuilt when the old man was 16. So about 1967 so aesthetically it looks good, but suspension rubbers, wheel bearings, brakes all getting on a bit. It also has a 390 in it

The guy who bought it lives in Singapore, when he flies into Perth he drives it around then it goes back in storage. Haven't seen it in the road for some time.

Looking forward to my 60 arriving and rebuilding it with my dad and son. Many memories with the old 58 here.
Old 04-08-2017, 06:18 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Poker Run 2010

Michael, that is quite the post! Bill posted that information about that unusual 1958 Squarebird more than 7 years ago! Thanks for bringing us up to date on that '58 of your Grandfather and why it was decked out as it was/is! That is quite the story! Thanks for sharing it with us! It certainly adds to the history that we were unaware of regarding that unusual Tbird! The latter part of the story regarding the present owner is also quite interesting. I would be neat to find out of your Grandpa's old '58 is till around!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm