No announcement yet.

60' rear axle I.D. ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

60' rear axle I.D. ...

Need to know if the diff. in my 60' is 9"or 9 3/8", also is there any way to tell if it's a locking unit without removal. Thanks, Mike
  • trim code 76
    Experienced
    • Aug 3 2006

Mike , can only help you on one of your two questions. How to check if you have a "locking" rear end (also known as posi traction) is to take the car to your local tire shop and have them put it on a lift. Before raising it, put it in neutral with no ebrake. When it is raised, turn one of the rear wheels; if both turn, you have a locking rear end. If only one spins, you have a typical non-locking differential. Hope this helps. (This is the safest way I know of to find out).
    Greg

Comment

Thanks Greg. It's on the lift now, I'll check it out. Of course a big smokey burnout would work too if the clutches are good. Mike

Comment

• trim code 76
        Experienced
        • Aug 3 2006

I must be getting OLD! Ahhh my young teenage years of street racing.....
        Of course, that would be the easiest AND MOST FUN way of checking! Yikes, time to color the hair and play some 60's rock! Grooovie man!
        Greg

Comment

60' rear axle I.D. ...

Just found out from the guys on the FE forum that the 9 3/8 unit did'nt come out untill 66'. We had the 9 3/8 in my sons 67 Q-code Galaxie and a 9" in 67 donor car. So I guess I'am good to go. I'am going to put in some 3:64 nascar gears in the Bird when I upgrade to the AODE Trans. Mike

Comment

• 57ford/60thunderbird
            Experienced
            • May 4 2009

another quick way to check for a posi tracion axle is just to lift one rear tire (floor jack) and spin the wheel if it does it aint if it dont it is mine aint
            57 ford sedan
            60 thunderbird registry number 33404
            69 mustang coupe
            69 roadrunner

Comment

• trim code 76
              Experienced
              • Aug 3 2006

I still like burning some rubber to tell! Wish I would have thought of that first.
              Greg

Comment

• scumdog
                Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by 57ford/60thunderbird
                another quick way to check for a posi tracion axle is just to lift one rear tire (floor jack) and spin the wheel if it does it aint if it dont it is mine aint
                Yup, that's how I found out my '66 was fitted with a posi!

Speaking of which, does this show on the build-sheet? - that it has a posi?
                A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• FeFranco
                  Experienced
                  • Jan 13 2007

Single Wheel

Mike, you could have just asked me if it was a locker. Ummm nope, just one tire and I have the mark to prove it. It was fun and I did shock the kids.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎