This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 01-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Experienced

1960Bird is on a distinguished road
Default C-6 Transmission

Have any of you ever installed a C-6 in a Squarebird. If so, what is involved.

Thanks
Steve
Old 03-05-2010, 01:49 AM
Apprentice

JCLipka is on a distinguished road
Cool Doing it right now!

I'm doing the C-6 right now, and it's pretty straightforward, so far. I have a '60 crossmember and a '67 crossmember..tomorrow I will bolt the '60 crossmember under the C-6 without a mount, and measure the geometry required to cannabilize the '67 and weld it into the '60 for the proper connection to the C-6. You have to also use the block spacer which was mounted between FE's and the C-6 from later models. I've used a new 67 C-6 torque converter, flywheel and starter.
Outside of this, there arte some linkage mds that must be accomplished, and there is some documentation here on Squarebirds that show it, but I have not gotten there yet. I'll post again after I've jumped through that hoop.
John

Last edited by JCLipka : 03-05-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

I have a C6 in my car, but it is attached to a 460.

It was like this when I got the car.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Experienced

protourbird is on a distinguished road

I put an AOD in my 60 and it's a pretty straight forward swap but you have to buy the unit from Performance Automatic in Baltimore and could get a little pricey but it sure makes cruising nice.

Jim

protourbird
Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 AM
Administrator

byersmtrco is on a distinguished road

So now, this thing bolts up?
I think you told me the particulars before. What are the basic mods?
Prob no more than running a C6? My cruise-o-anchor is still working pretty good, but I'm not going to run it if (when ) it fails.

Oh and how much are those headers?
Poss 3rd Gen T/B owner
Old 04-07-2010, 03:55 AM
Apprentice

You have to change the flywheel, starter and torque converter, install a block spacer plate behind the flywheel, use the C-6 lower bellhousing dust cover, fabricate a crossmember (easy, pictures are coming)....but actually, the research took longer than the work..pretty simple stuff.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Apprentice

Well, as it turns out, the information here regarding the fabrication of a crossmember to install a C-6 was incorrect for a 1960. It was much easier than expected, and easier to fabricate from scratch than to cannibalize two stock members. I used a flat 3/8" thick 20 1/2" x 6" steel plate and a stock C-6 Transmission mount, and welded the parking brake standoffs to it. I will be posting some pictures as soon as my membership renews, (just paid it again tonight). It's easy...