This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Tinkerer

Howard Prout is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Backrest Cover

I hope somebody can help me out. I ordered a complete seat cover kit from Mac's for my '59 almost a year ago. I finally got the parts in July of last year. I took everything to an upholstery shop in August to have it installed. I was then told that the rear back rest cover didn't fit - it was approx. four inches too narrow. Everything else fit fine. I have been back and forth ever since with Mac's trying to get a replacement cover. They now want me to send the cover I received back to the supplier (at my expense) and if it was made incorrectly, they will refund the shipping charges. I would rather check things out first. So, if someone who has a squarebird would be kind enough to take some measurements of their rear backrest cover and send them to me, it would be most appreciated. I need to know the width of the cover at the top of the inserts and the width at the bottom as well as the depth from the top of the inserts to the seat level.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear BAckrest cover annotated scaled.jpg (321.2 KB, 74 views)
"Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Last edited by Howard Prout : 02-28-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 AM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

The two seating area pleated panels fit fine including the center hump ???

There are many measurements that go into forming one of these covers. I was just trying to figure out from your description where the extra material is required.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:15 PM
Tinkerer

From what I understand the inserts and hump areas fit fine. The problem is that there isn't enough material on the outside edges to reach the edge of the seat. However, it is conceivable that the additional width needs to be divided between the outside edges and the inserts.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:45 PM
Super-Experienced

partsetal is on a distinguished road

Howard, I'm working on the seats for my '60 Convert at present. I've saved the rear seat back for last as it seems the most difficult. I'm installing new foams and using vinyl backers instead of burlap. The only dimensions I feel comfortable with are your top to bottom, mine is 19 1/4" in the center of the insert. Across the inserts at the middle I have 5" to the center of the side seam on each side and 12 1/4" at the center (between the inserts at the center).
I've sold a few foam sets and a few seat covers, and many a time I hear that the foam is too big or the cover is not big enough. I always explain that these covers do not just slip on like the Mustang covers, but take some stretching and adjusting, sometimes a little padding is required to make the wrinkles disappear.
On my rear seat back I started with some temporary hog rings to get everything lined up. Take a few days break, come back and stretch again, repeat the process until satisfied. I now have a wrinkle in the list gutter and have to dismantle one section to resolve it. It is a long process, but it can be done.
Carl
Old 02-28-2018, 01:28 PM
Tinkerer

Thanks for the info, Carl. I took a closer look and the distance between the panel and the side seam is 4 inches on the right and 3 1/2 in. on the left! Also, the distance between the center panels is slightly under 12 inches. The distance top to bottom of the panels is the same as yours.
Old 02-28-2018, 04:08 PM
Experienced

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Surely wish I could be of more help. Without attaching the center panels,
if there is no way to get it around the frame, it's more than likely not going to fit.

I could suggest a bunch of photographs to Mac's showing this.

And total lifetime experience doing any upholstery work was on our Squarebird front and back seats. The rear seat bottom was close to what you describe and took days to fit around the frame.
Pre-installed super long tie wraps for the listing rods. Comparing old and new, the new had supersized bolsters around the bottoms and backs. The center hump in the rear was/is so pronounced on the new that it looked like a different car.