This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 10-27-2017, 07:14 PM

Indianasquarebird is on a distinguished road
Default Step 1: Engine that has been setting?

I just brought home a 60, 352. Sitting for at least 7 years. She is in my garage now. One of my earliest orders of business is to see if she fires, therein my seeking sage advice from the group.
So i shall get to it:
Beyond, the ordinary precautions, clean clear carb, marval magic, in the pistons, clean plugs, points, gap, starter connections, (or assemble a remote starter), roll the engine a little, crankshaft, while in neutral,squirt more marvel,fresh battery,take valve covers off, inspect them, and kaaazammmm, she starts..lol.
I apologize: Here is my question. I do not have the skill set to "prelube the bearings, valves" that i have heard about, by placing an old distributor without the gear in the engine and crank the oil pump that way..Is there another way to lube up an engine that has been setting, so i don't score the bearings, and/or is their something that I may have missed in my setup to start this beauty.
Thank you very much.
Jeff
1960-HT #54745
1967- Galaxie 500
1951- Chrysler Imperial
ONE PIECE AT A TIME--Johnny Cash
Old 10-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Apprentice

Woobie is on a distinguished road

Other than the distributor method, there's the socket taped to an extension and then into the drill chuck, using a 1/2" drill. Reverse is the direction but verify with another source if you are about to begin in the next ten minutes. The socket is placed on to the oil pump drive shaft.

There are also pre-oiler shafts sold that may fit your conditions.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:14 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Use a 1/4" socket (tape it to the extension so it doesn't come off) on the oil pump shaft and go counter clockwise on your drill to turn the oil pump.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-27-2017, 09:03 PM
Super-Experienced

scumdog is on a distinguished road

Also check none of the valves are stuck open before spinning the motor!
Old 10-27-2017, 09:10 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
Also check none of the valves are stuck open before spinning the motor!
Great point. Tap on the valves with a rubber mallet. If you don't feel a vibration they're probably stuck and you'll bend a push rod for sure.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 PM

Thank you John, I made that mistake on my 67 Galaxie, bent about 3 pushrods.. so i just did a top half gasket job and valve job while i was in there. I dont care to do the work, i just don't want to cause myself extra..lol
jeff
1960-HT #54745
1967- Galaxie 500
1951- Chrysler Imperial
Old 10-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Great point. Tap on the valves with a rubber mallet. If you don't feel a vibration they're probably stuck and you'll bend a push rod for sure.

John
Further to that, if storing the motor for some time it is a good idea to back off the rockers/rocker gear until all valves are shut.
It will save your valve springs, no valves will be stuck open - and nothing will be able to fall into the motor via intake or exhaust ports.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:09 PM

Thank you scumdog...thats solid advice..
1960-HT #54745
1967- Galaxie 500
1951- Chrysler Imperial
Old 10-27-2017, 10:32 PM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

OEM on the way out

I bought one that was rebuilt and by the time I got it installed it had been sitting 5-6 years.

Although you can't tell from the pics it had been sealed after rebuild - all the ports etc were taped shut. (this pic was the day I was cleaning it and getting ready to paint and install)

All I did was rotate the engine a couple of times to make sure nothing hit - shot marvel mystery in the cyls.

Installed and put fresh oil/filter in it - added ZDDP. Spun it over with the coil disconnected until the oil light went out which meant to me that I had good oil pressure.

Ran great .......but

After about 1500- 2000 miles it developed a tick from a lifter.
Took it apart and found some rust in the top end even though it had been sealed. Probably from condensation.

Found ALL the lifters stuck solid. Replaced all the lifters and pushrods.

Been fine now for over 10K miles

May be something you just can't find without tearing it down but hope yours runs first shot.

Remember the FE's have hydraulic lifters and they will tick and stick for the first few minutes - at least mine did. Even the original did that after it had been sitting about 4 years and I was just getting the car back on the road.

Good luck,
Eric
Old 10-28-2017, 03:17 PM
Super-Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
Use a 1/4" socket (tape it to the extension so it doesn't come off) on the oil pump shaft and go counter clockwise on your drill to turn the oil pump.

John
For my 385 series motors (460 429) I use an old distributor with the drive gear removed, I have a section of steel that locks in place where the rotor arm fitted ( you could weld a nut onto it) and the top of the steel has a 9/16" nut welded to it.
I drop this distributor in place and with a 9/16 socket on the end of the brace from my socket set I spin the shaft of the old distributor- good for at least 50lb pressure!
With motor I know have been sitting for years I build up oil pressure then rotate the motor 1/4 of a turn and wind up oil pressure again, I do that twice more and then I'm happy oil has got everywhere it should.