This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 PM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Talking Me & A Cat 4 Hurricane Harvey....

I am receiving a good number of inquiries regarding my situation and Hurricane Harvey. Here is how it is going here so far. We had a bright, sunny day, with just a spot of rain late in the afternoon and so far tonight, it is still quiet here. Harvey has come onto shore at Rockport, about 161 miles south of me, and about 80 miles from my son's home in Cuero. Cuero seems to be in the direct path of this presently Cat 4 storm, which is thought it will go down to a Cat 1 after it comes fully on shore. My son, family and friends are enjoying a Hurricane Party in his ManCave in the garage, shooting pool and probably tossing a few cold ones. He plans on riding out the storm, and it would not be the first one he has.

As for me, they are predicting about 10-12" of rain here, with winds from 55-80mph or so over the next few days. Much depends on whether or not this storm keeps heading North, as they often have in the past and downgrading as it goes. But this one is thought that it will stall shortly after landfall and sit there for several days and spin and spin, dumping all that water in it from the Gulf and flooding everything with rain from 35-53 INCHES! Then they think it will head back out into the Gulf again, and take a turn towards Houston or New Orleans. Neither of which can handle a ton of rain because they are just barely above sea level in Houston, and below sea level in New Orleans. We know what happens to that city with excessive rainfall.

IF this thing keeps going North, then it looks like it could go right through San Antonio. It would not be the first time, as we had one do that in the early 1970's with 100mph winds. IF I lose power, and John ~ Jopizz or Dave ~ simplyconnected do not see me logged onto the Forum, they will take over until I get back up. If I keep my power, I will post from time to time to let you know which county I have been blown into, or if I am still in my chair in front of the PC! Thanks for the concern of those who have written or called me to see how we are doing. As the night goes by, and Harvey gets closer, it might get to be a little wild through the night, tomorrow and Sunday...

Here is my link to weather.com and what the radar is showing now. You can zoom in and out for better viewing.

https://weather.com/weather/radar/in...icspeed&zoom=9

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 08-26-2017, 02:03 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Robin & I are praying for light damage and for the folks who stayed to 'weather the storm'.

There is a high-pressure area pushing the hurricane back down, which will cause the storm to stay put and 'pinwheel' instead of moving north.

The news reports are telling us that Washington will not make the same 'Katrina' mistakes as they are moving ahead in a proactive stance instead of waiting until the 'smoke clears'. All of our generators from Michigan's box stores have been sent to Texas, in preparation for massive power outages. Local Texas governments are preparing for an orderly and law-abiding recovery. This was the main reason why so many stayed home, to secure their stuff. With God's help, Texas will suffer minimal consequences.

Don't worry about Squarebirds.org, Ray. You take care of yourself and your family. John and I can hold down the fort. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 08-26-2017, 02:14 AM

Default Me & A Cat 4 Hurricane Harvey....

Thanks for the comments and prayers. San Antonio has taken in many bus loads of people from the Coast and are putting them up here until this blows over. So far, you would not even know there was a hurricane south of me here.. But over night and the weekend, we will probably start getting dumped on big time, and the winds will kick up to around Tropical Storm or Cat 1 limits they think.. I will let you know how things go as I can and if I need to, I will bail out of here and go to my daughters home in the Hill Country.. about 50 miles further north.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-26-2017, 03:37 AM

Still no storm activity here, but the outer bands are getting closer and we should start feeling some effects overnight. It has been downgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3 now, and is expected to downgrade to a Cat 1 eventually. I am calling it a night.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-26-2017, 10:15 AM

Morning update! I just got up a few minutes ago. I was not awoken by any heavy rain or storm activity here. Harvey has been downgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 1, with wind gusts up to 80mph. Here we have had some rain and the trees are whipping around at 24mph. According to the radar presently, the eye is just south of my youngest son's home in Cuero and headed right for them. They have lost power, and it is raining fairly hard, and blowing and going. However, it appears that they do not have any damage. However, the city of Rockport south of them where the eye came in does. The roof of their high school partially collapsed it is reported and there is damage to a senior center. City officials are just getting out to see how bad it is. I have not seen any reports of deaths yet. Most of the storm bands have been off to the northeast of the eye, hitting the Houston and Austin area, but not effecting us much yet. So far there is no indication that this is going to turn south and head back to the Gulf. It is following a path of Hurricanes of past years, to this point, of going inland and blowing itself out. If you want to get a better picture of what is happening, try clicking on the weather.com link in my first post, or bring up http://www.drudgereport.com.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 08-26-2017, 10:24 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Hope the wind continues to subside. Our daughter lives in San Antonio and we are in constant contact with her. Raining harder here in Naples FL than where she lives - but that will definitely change as the storm slowly moves.

Stay safe and hopefully dry in the garage!