This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Experienced

Buckaroo is on a distinguished road
Default Vibration around 55mph

My 58 Tbird has wire wheels, with Coker tires and tubes. Around 55mph it starts ti vibrate or shimmy. I had a similar problem with my 65 Mustang with unilug wheels. I bought new wheels and the issue went away. I like the wires wheels. I have only had the car about 4 years, Went through the front end, new ball joints, etc. My mechanic seems to have a hard time getting these wheels balance. I really do not want to buy new wire wheels, so is there someone that can work on these wheels and true them up?
Old 07-21-2017, 11:19 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Wire wheels can be a challenge at times.

Do the normal vibration diagnostic steps.

- look for marks indicating a missing balance weight

- spin the wheels manually and see if it runs out or is bent. Use a dial indicator if you have one & measure/record run out.

-Put front wheels on back, back on front, or borrow all 4 from another car. If vibration changes or is eliminated you indeed do have a wheel problem.

- were your wheels balanced by a stud centric or center centric method? Proper way is stud centric.

Yes they can be "trued" just like a motorcycle/bicycle wheel, but finding someone to do it will be difficult.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:02 PM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Just re-read your post and saw:
Quote:
My mechanic seems to have a hard time getting these wheels balance.
Tell him the recommended procedure for these wire wheels is to be stud centric balanced ESPECIALLY if the large center hole of the wheel is larger than the OD of the hub on your car. If he is balancing the wire wheels using the center hole, he will indeed have trouble.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

You can get beads or BB's to put in the tire, and it
will self balance all the time. Does not always work,
but many have been happy with using that method.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:21 PM
Super-Experienced

Dakota Boy is on a distinguished road

^^ where there's a will, there's a way ^^
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 AM

Tbird6 is on a distinguished road

Are you running radial tires?

There is some evidence that radial tires load the rims a lot more than the old bias ply tires did. If these are old wire wheels and you are running radials that might be an issue?

Just a guess.

Let us know what you are running.