This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:31 AM
Apprentice

mh434 is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise control

Morning all
First post on the forum so be gentle..! Thought you might be interested in the photos below. I purchased a 1960 hard top last November in the UK and in the boot were the original valve covers and air cleaner together with a small box of tricks that I can only assume is a cruise control controller. Presumably the plumbing on top of the valve cover is related to the cruise control. Very happy with the car but encountered the first issue last weekend. I went to close the drivers door but it wont catch, it just springs back open. hopefully nothing broken in the mechanism it just needs a bit of lubrication. Anyone else had the same problem ?
(hopefully the photos appear..!)

Jon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0204-1.jpg (139.7 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0206-1.jpg (142.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0208-1.jpg (144.0 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-24-2017, 04:04 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise control

Good Morning, Jon! I was about to call it a night here when I saw your post. Yes, the pix are showing, and they are sized correctly, so you got that right. As for the door, it could be a number of things. One might be lubrication, or adjustment. Hopefully, someone else will come along and be able to give you more information than that. John Pizzi ~ jopizz and Carl Heller ~ partsetal have called it a night, but should be back on in the morning. Both are good persons to get to know because they are two who knows so very much about Squarebirds. Either one of them should be able to tell you what to look for to fix that door. If it turns out you need parts, Carl has plenty of Squarebirds parts and ships all over the world. Should he not have what you might need, then look at the Advertisements Forum, if you have not already done so. There you will find all the major Tbird parts houses listed. If you don't have their free catalogs, email them and ask them to mail them to you. Your Squarebird looks really nice, but that is the weirdest set up I have ever seen attached to a valve cover! It certainly looks like it was some older type of cruise control system, but I have never seen one like that before! Hopefully, someone has! If you can find any manufacturing information on it, post it here. I can do some research for you tomorrow on it, if you can find a name and/or model number. G'Night!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM
Super-Experienced

Joe Johnston is on a distinguished road

Also unusual is the device is mounted on a passenger side rocker cover. Obviously can be swapped side to side, but just sayin'...... Interesting item and definitely would like to learn what it is and how it operates.
Old 02-24-2017, 11:49 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh434 View Post
I went to close the drivers door but it wont catch, it just springs back open. hopefully nothing broken in the mechanism it just needs a bit of lubrication. Anyone else had the same problem ?
Jon
Most likely the latch inside the door needs to be lubed. Try removing the top screw above the latch and shoot some penetrating oil in there. That usually does the trick.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

Old 02-24-2017, 08:46 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

I'm subscribing to this thread because I've always been amazed that my '64 was available with cruise, yet the first car I ever saw with cruise was about 20 years newer.

Here's the wiring diagram for mine. I'd like to know what the mysterious "brain unit" is.

My apologies to admin for the big size of the "picture". A smaller size was not readable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001.jpg (232.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 02-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Apprentice

John
Top tip regarding the door latch. It now works a treat thank you.
I have taken some more photos of the other bits which were left in the trunk (which I assume go with the cruise control) and I will post them on Monday. Must admit they do look like they have fallen off a washing machine!!

Jon
Old 02-27-2017, 03:12 AM
Apprentice

so as promised, some further photos of what I believe to be bits of the cruise control setup. The micro switch has a lead that plugs into the three pin socket on the bit on the valve cover. The bellows, I have no idea...could even be part of a musical instrument for all I know..!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0262-1.jpg (143.1 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0263-1.jpg (144.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0264-1.jpg (145.7 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0267-1.jpg (137.4 KB, 63 views)
Old 02-27-2017, 03:56 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default Cruise control

Jon, here is what I have been able to find out about Micro Switch Corp. I think they are still in business making many different micro switches. Micro Switch is a Manufacturing company, Tel is 815-235-5500, at 11 West Spring St, Freeport, Illinois. I will contact them tomorrow to see if they can give me any indication of what that unit might have been used on. I suspect not, but I will see.

Is that unit attached to the contraption that is attached to the valve cover? It looks like it might be attached to something. Have you been able to find ANY indication of who manufactured that contraption attached to the valve cover? If you have not done so, go over that thing with a fine tooth comb and see if you can find any model number or manufacturing name on it. Someone had to build that thing, and I hope it was not just something that some previous owner put together from a bunch of parts. I am headed to bed, and I will let you know if I make any headway on this later today. Thanks for the additional pix.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411