This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 07-27-2016, 11:02 AM

59TbirdPDX is on a distinguished road
Default Horn Ring Shocker!

Calling all TBird experts: I put a new horn relay switch in my 59 and the horn sounds great!

The bad news is that whenever I touch the horn ring on steering wheel and sound the horn, it shocks the ever loving bejesus out of me.

OUCH!

Any thoughts?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:26 PM
Tinkerer

c4clewis is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are acting as the ground. Bad ground?
Old 07-27-2016, 03:44 PM
Super-Experienced

Tbird1044 is on a distinguished road

Makes me think that something is messed up with the relay wiring or if you have the correct relay. The horn ring should only see the voltage that goes through the closing coil of the relay and then to ground. Shouldn't be a lot of power there. If you are getting shocked it sounds like you might be getting the full voltage to sound the horns.
Good luck with this one and let us know what you find.
Nyles
Old 07-27-2016, 06:16 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Any coil, when power is removed from it, produces high voltage called 'counter EMF'. This Electromotive Force (voltage) happens when the magnetism collapses back into the coil windings. (It's also the reason why your ignition coil produces spark when the points OPEN.) It is momentary like a 'shot' of power and only happens when you electrically release the relay.

I've never heard of anyone complain about this in any car over many decades. Regardless, we have ways of snubbing this high voltage.

Get a common diode, like a 1N4004 (general purpose, one amp) and connect it backwards across the relay coil. More specifically, between the short 'B' wire (that comes from the regulator) screw connection, to the Blue-Yellow wire screw connection.

If you need to extend the wires on the diode, use small 'hookup wire' of any kind. You can solder or crimp the wires to the diode.

Diodes come with a band to show polarity. That band needs to be connected to the POS (B) terminal. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-23-2017, 10:20 PM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Im now in the process of mounting the horn ring back on the steering wheel, and was wondering about this problem of producing a shock. Is the horn ring not suppost to be completely isolated from the electrical part of the horn with the two isolation plates?
Thunderbird registry #61670
Old 03-24-2017, 01:16 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Producing a shock? Not when properly assembled.

Locate the triangular-shaped plate of steel, part #3630, in this picture. That plate has insulators around the three screws that hold it to the horn ring. It is energized by the contact brush.

Click on the picture to advance to our steering wheel assembly site...

Scroll down to picture #8, to see the screws and their insulators. If you have questions, please ask. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 03-24-2017, 04:39 AM
Experienced

Frango100 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Dave, but that was what i was trying to say. When the isolation gaskets are properly in place and not damaged, the horn ring should never be able to act as a ground and produce a shock. So most probably the problem of the original poster of this thread was a missing or damaged cork isolation gasket or the plastic one. I received all the horn parts from Carl, but the cork isolator is missing. I will make this gasket myself from some card board, but as the drawing shows, item 3672 is round, while in reality it should have the shape as the plastic isolator 3673. I did make the gasket round, as the drawing shows, but then the horn ring will be in contact with item 3629 and act as a ground.
I will make a new gasket with the triangle shape now.
Thunderbird registry #61670