This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Experienced

GeoffInCarlsbad is on a distinguished road
Default Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement

Has anyone replaced their lower control arm bushing? From the Shop Manual, it looks like I have to drop the whole lower control arm from the ball-joint and frame. Can it be done my simply removing the old bushing from the frame attachment or does the whole arm have to come off?

Suspension work does not thrill me.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:56 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Follow the procedure in your Shop Manual. Make sure you use good jack stands before going under your car. Once you get the lower arm out you can work on your bench. Even so, the bushings will not come out easy. Use a big hammer and take lots of pictures. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-06-2016, 09:57 AM
Super-Experienced

DKheld is on a distinguished road

The front end has to be lifted pretty high on the Squarebird to get the lower arms down far enough to remove the springs and A arms. Believe it was about 22 inches.

Took my bushings and A arms to a machine shop and had them press out the old and press in the new. More expensive - think they charged about $40 - but was quick and done.

Eric
Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Experienced

Default Lower Control Arm Bushing

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
Follow the procedure in your Shop Manual. Make sure you use good jack stands before going under your car. Once you get the lower arm out you can work on your bench. Even so, the bushings will not come out easy. Use a big hammer and take lots of pictures. - Dave
Hi Dave:

Sound advice. From looking underneath the car and the manual, it doesn't appear to be too difficult procedurally to remove the lower control arm. And I expect that if I do one, I will do the other at the same time.

While I have your attention, can the issue of a bad bushing cause the vehicle to pull right when braking? I ask because I have totally redone my brakes, new shoes, turned drums, new brake lines, flushed and new fluids, new wheel cylinders, and proper adjustment. But I am still getting this pulling issue. Any thoughts?

yep, and many pics will be on the way.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:07 PM
Slow Typist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffInCarlsbad View Post
Hi Dave:

Sound advice. From looking underneath the car and the manual, it doesn't appear to be too difficult procedurally to remove the lower control arm. And I expect that if I do one, I will do the other at the same time.

While I have your attention, can the issue of a bad bushing cause the vehicle to pull right when braking? I ask because I have totally redone my brakes, new shoes, turned drums, new brake lines, flushed and new fluids, new wheel cylinders, and proper adjustment. But I am still getting this pulling issue. Any thoughts?

yep, and many pics will be on the way.
***WARNING*** Do one side at a time. That way you can use the other side as a reference.

Shoe brakes pull. That's the nature of the beast. Sometimes they pull in one direction when cold then they pull in the opposite direction when heated up.

Why? For sure, if ANY of your steering or suspension components are sloppy you can expect a fight with the steering wheel. Another cause may be mis-matched brake linings. Each wheel needs a primary shoe and a secondary. They must be installed and bedded-in correctly.

A disk brake retrofit will stop the pulling to one side or the other. Disk brakes also stop a whole lot better. The difference is huge.

Chances are, original bushings are rotted and need to be replaced. I did mine in the driveway because I'm cheap. I used a 2-1/2" pipe nipple and a 5# hammer. This work is not for the faint-hearted, but with a little perseverance and persuasion, you can do it. I'm sure you can always find someone else to do the work for a price. Not me.

Randy Harsha lives in Fallbrook, not far from you. Send a PM to 'Randy' because he is in the middle of doing the exact same bushing and brake work on his '60 Squarebird. CLICK HERE for Randy's pictures.

Much of this work is straight forward and easier to do than to describe. Be careful and put the frame on jack stands. Then use a smaller jack under the spring before separating the lower ball joint. You won't need a spring compressor.

If you have more questions, please ask. We're here to help. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
Experienced

Default Awaiting parts and here we go

Hi Dave:

Ok, I am sending a note to Randy, per your connection. Thanks. I am trying to save myself about $400, and I am just dumb enough to try these things myself. The only that that concerns me is the removal of the ball joints from the lower control arm. Taking a 5# sledge and a pickle fork sounds frightening, but what the hell, right?

Here's what the right side looks like today:

Looks like it needs to be replaced. As for disc brakes, I am trying to stay as original as possible, plus I just did a load of brake work, and that was a learning experience! I'll get around to it in the future. It's the right thing to do.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:03 PM
Slow Typist

Yep, looks just like a worn out bushing.
Randy is a great guy and he's easy to speak with. He will show you what to expect and how he tackled his bushings. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca