This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Experienced

Deanj is on a distinguished road
Default Sun Ray Blues

My front Sun Ray wheel covers keep falling off during operation. I've read everything from adjusting the tabs, to painting the wheels, to sealing the covers on with RTV-if you can believe that. I'm certain I install these correctly.

It seems some fit better than others as I've replaced the driver's front with a recent purchase. The obvious problems tell me I can't keep hoping to find the ones falling off- I'm 2 for 3- and can't keep up with the demand for trial and error.

Are the Sun Rays just problematic? Beside replacing all wheels with some non-stock aluminum wheel, are the '58s better fitting? 57's?
Old 04-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

I haven't found the sun-rays any worse than other Ford hubcaps of the period. Sometimes the metal gets fatigued and cracks where the tabs meet the outer cap and they will never stay on. I've found that if they go on easy they will fall off. Usually I have to bend the tabs to the point where I have to whack them pretty hard with a rubber mallet to go on. Then they will stay on.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Experienced

Thanks John. I bent the tabs so it was very difficult to put on the wheel, but only a change of wheel cover worked on the driver's front, so far. The funny thing is there's no warning as these are properly seated before I leave the house. Only 2 of the original 4 that came with the car remain. I spent plenty of time sanding, polishing and painting these stainless steel wonders just to go on a safari in someone's yard or around freeway ramps.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:39 PM

I usually notice that they start to turn on the rim before they come off. I've actually had some where the valve stem gets bent underneath the cap. As you said the fronts are more susceptible to falling off than the rears. I've used both original rims and newer rims and it doesn't seem to make a difference. It seems that once the tabs get bent a few times they lose their strength.

John

Old 04-19-2016, 07:40 PM
Experienced

John, would you then conclude if the wheel cover comes off, it's not worthy anymore anyhow? By virtue of the fact these aren't strong enough to function, we should consider these garage wall art.

I'd hate to purchase a $130.00 new Sun-Ray and have it become a sailor.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:16 PM

Before I wrote it off I would swap it with one of the rear caps since the fronts seem to fall off more frequently. The sun ray covers are pretty common at auto swap meets. I usually find quite a few for under $10.

John