This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:15 PM

mergl12 is on a distinguished road
Default Brake Problems

Had my 1960 Bird in three times for break issues because the heat up and lock. Is it possible that after rebuilding the master cylinder that the break lines were not properly bled causing air in the break lines to expand making the brake drums heat up eventually lock. When the car sits and things cool down the breaks release.

Any thoughts.
Thanks Larry
Old 06-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Apprentice

Nicolas is on a distinguished road

I'd rather look at the master vac. I had the same issue and the master vac was damaged.

No way the expansion of air due to heat in the circuit could create enough pressure increase to be the reason of your problem.

Nicolas
Old 06-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Air in the lines would cause the opposite problem. Your brakes would not engage. Since you said the master cylinder was rebuilt I would look at that as the culprit. It's not as easy as just throwing a rebuild kit in it and hoping it works. Did you use the correct size kit. Was the cylinder honed and an oversize kit used. Most master cylinders will wear to the point that a standard size kit will not work.

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 06-01-2014, 10:48 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I would like to raise a simple 'truth'...

When the Master Cylinder is at rest (with your foot off the pedal and the spool is retracted), the lines are open to the reservoir(s), to allow brake fluid to return as the shoes and pads retract.

Conversely, if the spool is held in for any reason, the reservoir is blocked off and pressure is allowed to build in the lines.

There are two adjustments that can hold the M/C spool in:
The brake pedal rod at the pedal bolt,
The booster output rod (between the booster and the M/C).

Proper setup and adjustment for both areas are covered in the Service Manual (that nobody reads unless they have to).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopizz View Post
... Since you said the master cylinder was rebuilt I would look at that as the culprit...John
I agree, John. It is possible the spool is not retracting all the way, internally. I would want to see the spool hit that snap ring.
- Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca

Last edited by simplyconnected : 06-01-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Apprentice

Charles Nix is on a distinguished road
Default Brke problems

Just went through the same thing with mine after replaceing a leaking master cylinder. The brake pedal rod was out of adjustment.......corrected the probelm by shimming the master cylinder away from the firewall with a fat washer behind each stud..........quick and MUCH easier than adjusting the cam bolt at the top of the brake pedal. Just my two cents worth. Good luck.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:39 AM
Experienced

cubbear is on a distinguished road
Default brake problem

bleed back hole in master cylinder pluged?
Old 06-02-2014, 01:49 PM
Banned

Yadkin is on a distinguished road

Normally I'd say check for brake shoe adjustment and you should do that first because it's easy to do in your driveway. Just jack up each corner and turn the lifted wheel by hand.

But, if those are OK and it's locking up a pair or all four it has to be the master.